Importing old photos to iphoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hurricanes, Jun 13, 2009.

1. hurricanes macrumors newbie

Hi, unfortunately my house was burgled not long ago and my 2005 ibook taken. Luckily I'd backed everything up on an external hard drive and thankfully they didn't take that. I've got myself a new macbook pro however when I have imported my photos from my external hard drive my albums have disappeared and been replaced with some very randomly named events that do not resemble my albums. I dragged 'pictures' from my external hard drive into iphoto. It looks like all photos are there but in no way are they manageable now. Boo!

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

2. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

Since your iBook had an older version of iPhoto that did not have the "Events" feature that was introduced within the past couple of years you will have to re-sort all of your photos into those specified events that you would like.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Were the old photos an intact iPhoto library? If (probably an old version of iPhoto) so, launch iPhoto with option held down and choose the library on the external.. After upgrading the library, the move it en toto to the macbook.

4. hurricanes thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!

Thanks for the advice, has worked a treat in terms of upgrading the library however I'm now not sure where i can store it on my macbook as i have a few photos already in my macbook iphoto library and obviously want to see both (new and imported) when i open iphoto. Any ideas?

Thanks again