Importing other user account settings

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by danielsen, Nov 22, 2009.

1. danielsen macrumors newbie

So, I just obtained a Macbook from Craigslist. I spent most of yesterday setting it up, changing setting, installing applications, etc... What I totally failed to realize is that I don't have the password for the account! So, I took to Google. I discovered a way to create a new Admin account on boot via the terminal, which I did. So now I have my own account, with my own password.
    Here's my question: Is it possible to import all the settings from the first account I was working under, into my new account I just created? I'd really hate to do all that work again...
    Thank you in advance!

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

to be honest if i just bought a new system off ebay or craiglist id wipe the system clean and reinstall the OS and do all what you need from there.

i dont know of a way off the top of my head to transfer account settings over

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Now that you have an administrative password to use, you could just reset the password on the account you'd set up before and switch back to that. You'll need to wipe its keychain and start fresh, though, since the password on that can't be reset.

Instructions:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1274

I don't think this will work if they're using Filevault, but that's probably not the case.

All that said, I agree that I'd do a complete wipe and fresh OS install as soon as I got any used computer.