Importing photos from iPhone without using IPL

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iapplelove, Apr 11, 2015.

1. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

So I do not want to use the iCloud Photo Library feature and since I don't have iPhoto anymore when I plug in my iPhone to my Mac I'm not sure how to import the newest photos.

I do notice any photo I take on my phone or iPad does import to the Mac but I assume it's just using photo stream and the photos are in the cloud and not actually on the Mac or am I wrong?

I don't need all 40k of my photos in the cloud and at my fingertips at any moment however I do want to make sure all my photos I take with iPhone do in fact import and store on my Mac before I erase them off the phone
    Thanks

2. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Most of the user base have the same question, me too. Will bookmark this thread for answer. Apple is silent as they want the revenue from subscriptions as photos is free, changed from iPhoto had to be purchased.

3. iapplelove thread starter macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Thanks for the response! I really dont understand why I'm so confused but I just can't grasp the new system like I want to. I even tried iCloud Photo Library but the upload was taking days and never fully completed. The update to 10.10.3 even broke my time capsule backups always saying preparing backup but can't back up.

Again thanks!

4. KALLT macrumors 601

You can still import your iPhone pictures via USB in Photos. That feature still works.

Photo Stream stores your pictures only temporarily in the cloud and there is a limit in the number of pictures it can store at a time. Photo Stream is basically just a relay that copies your new pictures to your other iCloud devices. When you take a picture on your iPhone, that picture should appear in your Photos library.

There was some confusion about how Photo Stream handles local storage. In beta, deleting a picture from Photo Stream on the Mac would also remove it from your Photos library, but not from the camera roll on your iPhone. It currently works as it used to work before: photos are automatically imported on your devices, so they stay even if you remove them from Photo Stream.

I don't use iCloud Photo Library either and find Photo Stream sufficient for my needs. All new pictures are automatically imported into my Photos library.

5. iapplelove thread starter macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Thanks, and yes seems we agree on photo stream being sufficient enough. I understand photo stream and its active across all my devices and iCloud Photo Library is off on all devices including Mac.

I guess my main question is when I take new photos on my iPhone and they show up on my mac via photo stream, are they there permanent ?? Or like on ios devices once it reaches 1000 it starts erasing the oldest ones?

I'm hoping and thinking they are permanent and if so then I am satisfied.

6. Digger148 macrumors member

Digger148

I use Image Capture.app that is a part of OS X. It is located in either your Applications folder or Utilities folder (it is located in "Others" when using Launch Pad). I have the app set up to open each time I connect my iPhone to my Mac. When opened it will show all images and movies in your iPhone Photos app. You can "select to import" or drag and drop to your Mac to the place of your choice.

Like Preview.app it's one of those great little OS X apps that rarely gets shown any love.

7. iapplelove thread starter macrumors 68040

iapplelove

wow talk about under the radar, sounds like a nice little application! Will play around with it later

8. KALLT macrumors 601

Photo Stream also imports the pictures into your local Photos library on the Mac, you can see them under All Photos or in the moments view. These are indeed permanent. The photos in the Photo Stream ‘album’ are not. When you remove a picture from that Photo Stream album, it will be removed from the Photo Stream album on all your other devices as well, but it will leave the imported copies on each of these devices in tact. Likewise, old pictures will be automatically deleted from the Photo Stream album after a while, or when you exceed your quota (1,000 may indeed be that number).

You have to check whether photos are actually imported on your iOS devices though. On my Mac, every Photo Stream picture is indeed imported. However, on my iPhone, I have to save pictures manually first. However, the Mac should have the complete library at all times.

9. iapplelove thread starter macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Thanks! Pretty much what I wanted to hear !