Importing photos from SDHC card

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by baxlobs, Dec 5, 2012.

1. baxlobs macrumors regular

I have had some problems importing some photos from a camera card.

The first time I did it using the camera connection kit it worked just fine. The iPad could "see" the photos, I clicked "Import All" and that was that.

Last weekend I tried to import some others which I transferred to the SDHC from my PC, and for some reason the iPad just could not see any images on the card. I have just now tried again and it worked.

The only possible cause is that the ones that failed had all been renamed. Might this cause a problem? I made sure they were the correct length with no spaces, will iPad only recognise file names such as P1030630.jpg??

2. scoiattolo49 macrumors newbie

iOs will recognise and import from the camera connection kit files that conform to the DCF standard (as used by all digital cameras).

This neans that the files must be in a directory called DCIM and the file names have to follow this naming convention
    ABCD0001.JPG
    4 alphanumeric characters (often "DSC_" or "IMG_"), followed by a number

e.g. IMG_0012.JPG

3. baxlobs thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks very much, that confirms my suspicion. I will have to make sure not to rename photo files if I want to transfer them to the iPad

4. hdayala macrumors newbie

Photo file names

From my experience, the file name does not have to be "Alpha-numeric"
    Any 8 characters followed by .jpg will work just fine. Can be all letters, or all numbers, or a combination.