Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
After updating to Mavericks, iTunes 11.1.3, and Aperture 3.5, I am finding my iPhone/iPad syncs incredible slow. Especially the "Importing photos" step takes forever.

I have my photos on my NAS, organised in Aperture, and have always synced from there in iTunes. Aperture, and a few of my albums are selected, and the correct photos go onto the iPhones/iPads. So it works, but it can easily take 15 minutes, even when I haven't added any photos, and even if I have, the copying across only happens in a later step.

My photos are organised in Aperture with reference, but Aperture is not any faster/slower than it has ever been.

I can hear on the NAS (ticking/searching sound) that it is spending the time looking for something, but I have no clue what???

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I have now done all the library "fixing" you can do in Aperture, and it didn't do a damn thing to the syncing problem:(

This is something which has only started happening following the latest upgrades. I have about 50K photos in the library, and I sync about 2K of these, but it never took minutes to sync, only if I added a lot of new photos. Now, even when I don't do anything, just sync, it can take 10 min. to sync my iPhone.

I do not think it is Aperture though... I open and use Aperture at the usual speed, i.e. very quickly. My library is on an Accelsior drive, with the photos references from my NAS.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Actually I have always used AFP as that was fastest when I tested the various solutions...

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
If I choose to "Rebuild Database" in Aperture, will that affect my Faces and Places already identified?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.