Importing pictures into iPhoto from iPad

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jent, Feb 6, 2011.

1. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

I had the Camera Connection Kit for iPad, and I frequently take photos with my DSLR. My current routine is to sync my photos from my camera straight to my Mac, but I don't do it frequently because I'm often on the go. I'd like to start syncing my photos to the iPad, and in my free time when I'm out and about I could delete the imported photos on my iPad that I don't like (since I normally take between two and five photos of any given moment, since people often close their eyes in photos or some come out blurry). After that I could hook up my iPad to my Mac and import them from the iPad.

If I do that, does any information get lost along the way? Are the original file names (as set by the camera) maintained? Is all of the EXIF data preserved, like date and time, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, et cetera? If I shoot with my Eye-Fi SD card and it geotags my photos, does that geotagged information stay with the photo despite me adding the iPad as a "middleman" to the import process?

Thanks!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The default is for your photographs in iPhoto to be synchronized with with iPad/iPhone/iPod touch. Your metadata is not lost. However, the copy transferred to your iOS device is optimized for the device. You don't lose anything because the full-resolution version remains on your Mac.

3. jent thread starter macrumors 6502a

jent

Thanks for the reply. I understand that, but what I meant to say is, is anything lost if I transfer my photos from my SD card to my iPad to my Mac? I ask because the iPad is my ideal device for previewing the photos and deciding if I want to truly import them into my iPhoto library. If not, I delete it straight off the iPad before connecting it to iPhoto.