Importing Pictures to New iMAC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by floridaapples, Mar 8, 2010.

1. floridaapples macrumors newbie

I recently bought a new iMac and I am having problems uploading pictures. I upload my pictures straight from my camera with the USB. These pictures are saved to iPHOTO. When I try to open a picture to edit on GIMP I can't find my pictures!

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I transferred pictures from my PC to my MAC and I can open those and edit them. But the pictures I upload straigh to my MAC won't work.

Is it ok to save pictures to iPHOTO? Should I use another program? Is there a way to get to my pictures so I can work on them?

Thanks in advance! :eek:

2. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Go to your User Folder, Go to Photos, your iPhoto Library should be in there. Right-click or Control-Click on the iPhoto Library and Select "Show Package Contents." There will be a folder called "Originals" which contains all the photos you imported.

3. skybolt macrumors 6502a

If you want to use iPhoto, DO NOT do anything to them in the library in finder! iPhoto organizes things so that it can do the work for you, and if you change anything in that file, iPhoto will be rendered useless. If you want to use gimp or some other photo editor, go to iPhoto preferences and set that as your external editor. Then when you click to edit a photo, the external program will open, you can edit, and when you save, the photo will be right back where it belongs.

Stay out of the library in finder if you want to use iPhoto!

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

As skybolt says, DO NOT mess around with the iPhoto folders. It can cause all sorts of problems.

5. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

You can duplicate the photos from the iPhoto Library to you desktop and then use them in GIMP. <This step was forgotten in my first post.