Importing Scenes from a DVD movie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dslynch, Sep 7, 2008.

1. dslynch macrumors newbie

Hi there...One of the things that convinced me to buy a mac a few months ago was when a buddy of mine showed me some of his favorite clips from some different movies. He said that he imported them right into iMovie (i think he said it was iMovie), and that it was a piece of cake.

Well, I'm trying to do that now, and it doesn't seem to be working. Am I missing something? What I'm trying to do is take a scene from Walk the Line (the scene where we first plays Folsom Prison Blues at Sun Records). I own the DVD, and popped it in. But it doesn't seem that iMovie can import it. Should I be using something else? All I want is that scene...then I'll probably import some scenes from some other movies I own (Batman, Pulp Fiction, Fight Club, etc.).

Thanks.

2. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I am going to hazard a guess that iMovie recognizes the anti-copying protection of a DVD and will not let you import it.

You will need to first copy the DVD to your HDD using a program that breaks the anti-copying protection. Then iMovie should be able to import it.

3. dslynch thread starter macrumors newbie

Really?? Dammit. I'm not trying to hack around anything. I just wanted to build a sort of "greatest hits" of my favorite scenes.