Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gmac07

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
ok so i just bought a mac mini solo and i have a external hard drive full of music, about 50GB. so my question being new to OSX, will iTunes automatically recognize the mp3 files and put them into the iTumes library?

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
The first time you run iTunes I believe it gives you an option to search for music files to add to the library. If not choose File->import and then choose the location of your music and it will be added to iTunes.

I am not at my Mac at the moment so my instructions might not be exactly correct but there is an import function for adding your music.

dbhays

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2005
Salinas, CA
Or if you already have them in an itunes folder on the external you could

preferences>advanced>change itunes library location

It might even be smart to make your itunes folder on your external, then add to that folder to save space on hour internal HD.

sturigdson

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2006
A third way to do this, and my personal favorite, is the Add to Library function.

First, change your iTunes preferences so that iTunes does not automatically duplicate every song file you have and put it on your Mini's hard drive. Go to the iTunes menu > Preferences... click the "Advanced" Tab. In the advanced menu, uncheck the "Copy files to iTunes folder when adding to library" selection.

Then, connect your external hard drive, go File > Add To Library, then select the folder on the external drive that contains all your music.

The reason I prefer this method is that I can add files from any location, and it'll have them in the library, and won't move or copy files.

Gmac07

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
thanks guys, when my mini is delivered I will let you know how i do. i appreciate the directions because i need to learn this stuff.

Gmac07

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
ok im trying to get my library together. i totally screwed it up and there are doubles of every thing. how do you clear the whole playlist and start over??:mad:

Gmac07

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
nevermind i figured it out. im running all my songs off the 300gb external. so i can save the little space i have on the minis small hard drive. how do you set it up where all cds i rip go automatically to the external?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.