Importing Sony AVCHD into FC7 - What format?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by pirate4x4lance, Apr 16, 2010.

1. pirate4x4lance macrumors newbie

I would like to import the AVCHD video from my HDR-SR1 into Final Cut Pro 7. What is the appropriate "easy setup" setting for it, and any advice on the best export setting would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance!

edit - I'm currently using Sony XDCAM HD but am not sure if I should be using something else?

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Okay, so is it AVCHD video or XDCAM video you're trying to import? You're talking two completely different codecs there.

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

when in doubt, drag a clip to the timeline a message will pop saying your timeline doesn't match etc.. just click yes and they will match

4. pirate4x4lance thread starter macrumors newbie

haha shows how much I know, eh? The camera is an AVCHD camera. Since I didn't know which of the thousand codecs to choose, I picked that one.

Well that pretty much is what I did, but which codec should I be using, and more importantly, what is the proper HD codec to export to?

5. pirate4x4lance thread starter macrumors newbie

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Standard operating procedure is to transcode AVCHD into ProRes.

Lethal

7. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Seconded. Go with the prores format that matches the resolution and framerate of what you shot.

8. macfilm macrumors regular

When in the log and transfer window just select one of the ProRes codecs and thats it, drag the clip into the timeline, click yes on the dialogue box that pops up and then all your settings will be perfect! :) Export with current settings usually

9. ralphbu macrumors newbie

Why Prores and not AIC

From what I've been reading, Prores is lossy, not sure about AIC but other threads seem to say AIC is the default best. What's the advantage of prores for AVCHD?

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's a codec and uses compression, just like AIC, thus it is lossy. Uncompressed is the only option to edit not lossy. ProRes has more compression rates than AIC to offer though.

11. hatetea58 macrumors newbie

u mean u wanna correct format to import into FCE? FC8 will accept AVCHD format. And fc will always accept quicktime format. u can try to convert your video files to mov format with .264 codec.

12. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

What?

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You see, this poster has more experience with FCP8, as s/he is a beta tester, than we do, so s/he knows, that the H264 codec will be fully implemented to be usable. ProRes and AIC will be gone by then, as H264 offers much more advantages, one of them is, that it does not store every frame.
    Editing applications have major problems with formats that have every frame stored in their media, thus H264 is the much better alternative.

Also as H264 is a widely used format, even RED cameras use them, FCP 8 will be aimed at those YouTube cutters who get their sources via torrents, DVDs or other video download sites.

Or that user is just spamming this forum, a look at its other posts reveal such ignorance only to have a SPAM link in the signature.

14. hatetea58 macrumors newbie

he gave u a good answer.:D