Importing Tapes to External HD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by wutisupmonSD, Apr 25, 2009.

1. wutisupmonSD macrumors newbie

wutisupmonSD

Hello everyone, I'm doing a school project with a Canon HV30 and wish to do the editing on my own Macbook. Unfortunately, it's the new unibody, which means no firewire. The school has its own collection of iMacs, which have iMovie '06. My computer is running iMovie '08, and I was wondering if it was possible to import the footage through the iMac and onto an external HD. I could always import on the iMac and save as a .mov file, but I'm concerned with the amount of footage(9 hours) and time it would take. Any suggestions, links, or what have you would be greatly appreciated.

-Sean

2. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Well, I'm not sure, but considering how the school's iMacs use '06 and you have '08, I'm 90% sure that your idea on using an external HDD would work. Its what I did back in my Visual Communications class, saving everything to an external disc; however, I was also using Final Cut HD.

Just run a test when you have a couple of minutes of free time to see if your workflow idea works... I'm not familiar with iMovie, personally.

Do you still need to find an external HDD?

3. wutisupmonSD thread starter macrumors newbie

wutisupmonSD

Final Cut is also made by apple, so it should work then. And no, I'll be borrowing my friend's 250GB G-Tech so I should be alright