importing to iMovie ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by goose1873, Feb 12, 2008.

1. goose1873 macrumors member

I am having a hard time getting macbook to recognize sony handycam and therefor can't import movies to iMovie. Am i missing something...New to mac and figured this is the best place to ask :confused:

2. thesdx macrumors 6502a

Are you trying to import from USB or Firewire?

3. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

MacRumors is probably the best Mac-centric forum around, so you came to the right place. However, you probably should have posted in the "Digital Video" forum. Don't worry about it right now, a moderator might move it for you.

Now, to answer your question, I will have to ask you a couple questions first.

1. What Mac are you using (include the version of OS X you're using - i.e. OS X 10.4.10 ..)

2. What version of iMovie are you using?

3. What's the model number of the Sony camcorder are you using?

Just a few things to point out. If you're using a tape based camcorder (miniDV or HDV), you need to use a Firewire cable to connect the camcorder to the Mac. If you're using a Hard Drive, Flash, or DVD based camcorder, the USB cable is used.

If you have everything hooked up correctly, iMovie should just work. But if it doesn't, you'll need to select the import function from within iMovie. It should be in one of the menus. Also, most camcorder must be set to the "play" mode (as opposed to the record mode).

ft