Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goose1873

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Erie, PA
I checked in software forum and got no replys...

I was wondering if there was anything I needed to do in order to get my macbook to recognize my sony handycam? It is not recognizing and therefor I can't import movies to iMovie? Any advice would be appreciated. I'm new to macs but know they are typically good with hardware.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
A little more info would be nice. What model of Sony Handycam is it? What format are you shooting on? How are you connecting it to your Mac?

goose1873

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Erie, PA
model DCR-DVD108, shooting *.mpg, connecting via USB. Again I'm new to mac, but thought it would recognize hardware connected via USB (even if the format was incompatible...).

Italchef

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Maple, Ontario
I don't know about that particular camera, but from my experience with Sony mini dv and other posts that I've seen, you need to connect using firewire. Of course you can download photos using USB 2.0 but in order for the Mac to recognize and download video you have to use firewire 400.

Mick

Italchef

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Maple, Ontario
Hey Goose;
I was checking the specs on your camera and from what I saw it doesn't come with a cable that you can plug into the computer. Are you not supposed to transfer your footage by inserting the dvd into the mac?

goose1873

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Erie, PA
the camera comes with a usb-mini to usb cable. I'm sure I can't put the mini-disks into the computer. I have no problem loading them onto my other laptop (dell) via the usb cable. I'll keep playing with it...there has to be a way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.