Importing User-Data from a Mac OS HDD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macoslion, Jul 19, 2010.

1. macoslion macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I asked some time ago about the Mac Mini. Well, after that Mac Mini got that much expensive, I decided to get an iMac. Well and today my MacBook Mid 2007 died (doesn't turn on any more). Grr.

So I'm going to get the lowest iMac (21", 4GB, 500 GB HD, C2D 3.0 GHz) which is only Eur 300 more than the mini AND has a display. Besides that it's got 2 additional memory slots, so I can upgrade it for little money to 8 GB if I need that.

Okay, but my problem is another one.
    As I stated above, my MacBook died. My Time Machine is from friday or so...
    Can I attach its HDD via SATA2USB-Adapter and tell Mac OS to import user data from that SATA-HD? Or do I have to boot somehow from this HD to upgrade my TM to import it to the new HD?

Thanks guys for your help and let's hope Apple doesn't ship better iMacs at lower prices shortly...

-macoslion

2. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

To the best of my knowledge, you can get a enclosure for your drive from your macbook and do a migration when you turn on the new iMac for the first time and migrate data over.

Otherwise you can also hook up the timemachine drive to the new imac and select restore from a time machine back up; if i recall correctly it should work with the new system.

3. macoslion thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

thanks for your response.
    #1 sounds good, thanks :)

#2 is what I want to avoid since I'd lose some mails then (as the backup is some days old)

Will report back here what happend after my new iMac arrived...

Thanks,
    lion

4. macoslion thread starter macrumors newbie

I've got my brand new iMac 21.5" here...And attached my MacBooks HD using a SATA2USB-Kit and selected "get data from another volume attached to the mac" (or whatever it is in English ;) ) and it imports now.

Takes 40 min for 72 GB of data.

Thanks for your help, guys! :)

-lion