Importing User Preferences onto Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by danilani, Jan 21, 2008.

1. danilani macrumors newbie

Hey!

I saved my entire user folder onto my hard drive and then did an 'erase and install' to install leopard. I'm now trying to figure out how to get my user preferences/data from the hard drive onto applications such as Firefox and Skype. Also, is there a sweeping cut and paste or import to get this entire user folder 'uploaded' or whatever onto Leopard?

Thanks

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

your preferences/settings for your applications are kept in the preferences and application support folders in the library. just drag folders over and replace all. theres also the font folder if youve installed any other fonts, the keychain folder which houses your login keychain, the mail folder which holds all your emails and settings, safari folder which has your bookmarks + other things, spelling which holds all the words your manuallt added to dictionary, widgets, workflows etc etc

you may not want to be logged in your user account when doing this as some of the files will be in use or not copy over properly due to permission problems so ive found logging in as root easier. or you can do it from a cloned drive.