Importing VHS into iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by hedquista, May 14, 2009.

1. hedquista macrumors newbie

I have seen similar posts on this subject but am still very lost to how to get this to work. Here is my scenario:

I have macbook 2.4 Ghz 2 Gb ram

I have a keyspan USA-28x device that i have used before in older versions of imovie(and an older mac). I have the proper drivers for my hardware and I can pull up the application that recognizes the serial ports. I know that the computer it self knows the device is there. From past experience I have been able to import into imovie by selecting the keyspan device rather than the built in camera. Thus I am required to record in real time what I wish to import.

If at all possible i want to be able to use this keyspan device as to not spend more money. This will help with my Home videos on VHS and old stuff i have that is no longer available.

Where in the preferences (or where ever) do i need to change so I movie will use the usb serial port to import the video?

Thanks for the help.

Alex

2. hedquista thread starter macrumors newbie

In addition I am not too concerned if the output is in super high quality or not. Just need the video and sound to be editable(not sure if this is a word).

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Not sure how you intend to import video using a serial port. Do you have some funky VCR with serial output?

Honestly, your best bet would be a USB TV tuner that has auxiliary inputs. Check out EyeTV.

Alternatively, you can look at the Hauppauge HD-PVR 1212 combined with Steven Toth's application. It's a little overkill, but it's the current best quality.

There's also a device from BlackMagic that is a USB import device. A little cheaper than the Hauppauge, but it doesn't do HD. Comes with Mac OS X software, though.

Here's some links.

ADDED - looks like ElGato has a new video capture device. On first glance, it looks like s-video and composite.

ElGato Hybrid

Hauppauge HD-PVR 1212

HD-PVR Capture by Steven Toth

BlackMagic Video Recorder

ElGato Video Capture Device

4. hedquista thread starter macrumors newbie

to clarify:
    I have a usb serial port adaptor that has an RCA and s-video input. I know i will be sacrificing some quality but I am ok with that.

5. huntercr macrumors 65816

I guess I don't understand the question... if your USB converter works... why not use it?

Are you saying the driver works, but there is no capture software that came with it?

6. hedquista thread starter macrumors newbie

I think my problem comes from not knowing where in imovie i need to click or activate when I wish to capture. There is an application that tells me if the usb port is active and that the computer recognizes that it is present. but when trying to use imovie to capture I am stopped in my tracks.

I open i movie and pull down the file menu and click import from camera. I have in the past been able to change from the built in isight camera to this usb port but cannot. I have also tried to find where to change preferences so that it will capture the video.

I hope this helps clarify where I am having problems.