Importing VHS to my Imac

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by moose11, Sep 27, 2008.

1. moose11 macrumors newbie

Okay I have some VHS tapes that a friend has asked me to convert to dvd with chapter marks between certain sections. I have tried to figure out how to do this and I cannot figure anything out. At my disposal on the computer side I have an iMac with final cut express, imovie, and idvd. I think I know how to add chapters and I know how to use idvd. My main problem is getting the video off of the vhs to the computer. I have read about pass-through options and all sorts of things but I don't think I have the required hardware. What I have to use is an Canon ZR950 miniDV camcorder, Panasonic DMR-ES15 dvd player, Toshiba W522CF vcr, and a lot of different cords. Could anyone help me please?

2. -DH macrumors 65816

You'll only need a way to convert the analog signal from the VHS playback deck into a Firewire signal to capture it into your Mac. Many DV camcorders can do that, as well as an assortment of converters like the Canopus ADVC-110. If you want to do a really good job, use a TBC in the analog signal path to keep the video signal stabilized properly. The Canopus ADVC-300 does have a built-in TBC.

-DH

3. moose11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I read about that but I can't seem to figure out how to do that?

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Search for a pdf of the Canon ZR950 manual and then do a search for firewire and/or pass-through. If it doesn't have that option then according to my mother Costco does any kind of tape (VHS included) to DVD conversion. May be cheaper than buying a piece of hardware and way less time consuming. Not sure how much they charge though.

5. moose11 thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually have the manual on hand and bored myself reading through the whole thing and to no avail. As far as I understand my camcorder won't let me do it. Is there any way to do vhs to computer conversions with a really tight budget say $20?

6. -DH macrumors 65816

Find a friend that has a DVD recorder or a combo VHS/DVD recorder. Use the $20.00 to buy some beer for your friend to drink while he lets you use his recorder.

-DH