Importing VHS video to computer to DVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by speekez, Jun 30, 2007.

1. speekez macrumors 6502

Hi gang

I have a mac pro with decent hard drive space.

My goal: Transfer video from a VHS tape to my Mac and then burn DVDs that will play in DVD players.

Anyone have a favorite, reasonably priced device for transfering the VHS video to my mac?

Would I then just use DVD pro to burn the desired DVDs?

thanks!

2. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

How are you connecting your VCR to your Mac - via something like ADC110 or via EyeTV and the relevant hardware? I say relevant because there is now so many bits of kit that is supported via EyeTV software. I use an ADC110 myself which connects via 1394 and import to FCP 2 studio.

3. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Any of Canopus ADVC products will do the trick nicely for capturing from analog sources such as VHS.

You might also consider just getting a set-top VHS/DVD recorder combo, you hook it up to your TV to watch both VHS and DVD, and you can dub from VHS to DVD (or the other way around) usually with only one or two presses of a button.

4. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

How did you get past the macrovision encoding? When I tried that, the video would dim at various intervals, as the MV was being applied. I found a way around it, but it would not work exactly as you are doing it. Just curious.

5. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

Both the ADVC100 and the ADVC300 can bypass Macrovision, it is luck if it works with your box though. My ADVC110 does not allow this.

Get a Macrovision remover, try Ebay.

I don't know if this works.
    http://reviews.ebay.com/Canopus-ADV...ass-for-DVD-Backup_W0QQugidZ10000000002152407

6. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM