Importing video files into iMovie '09

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by UGAMatt, Mar 11, 2009.

1. UGAMatt macrumors newbie

In the past, I've used Handbrake to rip to mp4 then into iMovie HD. I now have a Macbook Pro with iMovie '09. I have some DVDs of basketball footage from my team that I'm trying to put together into a highlight DVD using iMovie. What is the best way to rip the footage from the DVD then import into iMovie '09, because Handbrake is not doing the trick.

Also, any suggestions for what format I need to be ripping to?

thanks

mg

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Why is handbrake not working ofr you?

3. UGAMatt thread starter macrumors newbie

Handbrake will rip the file, but I don't know what format to rip it to...I've tried 2 different file formats, but when I got to import it into iMovie, it won't let me select the files from my desktop to upload

4. KimmyMcG macrumors newbie

Did anyone ever help you, I have the same questions.

5. spice weasel macrumors 65816

You don't want to use HandBrake. HandBrake is for turning DVDs (mpeg-2 files) into mpeg-4. If you want to edit video that you can only get from a DVD, then you need to use something like MPEG Streamclip or ffmpegx.

Since these are non-copyright protected DVDs, just open them and copy the VIDEO_TS folder of each one to your hard drive. Then, use MPEG Streamclip to convert the vob files in those folders to DV. This is a codec designed for editing. Then import into iMovie and edit away.

You'll lose some quality doing this, of course, but it is a far better way than using mpeg-4 as an intermediate step.