Importing Video from Camera

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by MikeVanMac, Apr 9, 2010.

1. MikeVanMac macrumors newbie

Hi,

has anyone tried importing a video from his camera using the camera connection kit? I tried transferring camera videos from Iphoto, but the Photo app said that the iPad does not support the format. I tried .mp4 and .avi.

If someone has done this, where do the videos go? Can you watch them on the iPad?

Thanks for the Help!

Mike

p.s. I'm a bit confused about this topic because in the guided tour of the photo app Apple advertises this functionality but in the product description there is no mention of supported video formats...

2. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

So far I have only imported video from iTunes. That works fine on the iPad. There are some formats that it rejects. I had some Apple TV formatted movies that it didn't like.

3. MikeVanMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I just managed to import a video file to iPhoto, sync it over to the iPad, and play the video file in the Photo app!

But: The file was not from my camera. The file specs are below.

Dimensions: 320x240
    Codecs: MPEG-4 Video, AAC, MPEG-4 SDSM, MPEG-4 ODSM, Hint
    Audio Channels: 2
    Total Bit Rate: 750

I tried Importing a video file from my camera via Iphoto again but it did not work.

Here are the specs of the video from my camera:

Dimensions: 1280 × 720 (note: 30fps)
    Codecs: H.264, AAC
    Audio Channels: 2
    Total Bit Rate: 8.342

When I tried to copy the file Itunes would not let me. The Error Message was: The Video was not copied to the iPad because it cannot be played on the iPad.

I tried copying the video as a movie from Itunes and as a movie from iPhoto.

Here are the iPad's Tech Specs concerning Video- theoretically it should work:

TV and video
    H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;

Does anyone know why this is not working?