importing video from three tapes

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by maggieoh, May 26, 2007.

1. maggieoh macrumors newbie

Hi, I have three mini dv tapes of my daughter's wedding. I want to import them all to the same imovie page. I imported the first dv and without turning off the camera I changed to the second tape. Imovie didn't allow me to import it. Then I turned off and disconnected the camera and started over. Imovie opened up to the video from the first tape. When I switched from edit to import I could only import from isight.

How do I import from three tapes to make one movie?
    Thanks, Maggieoh

2. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

When you first attempted to switch tapes what exactly did iMovie do that it did not allow you to import the video? It is possible that if you had to move your camera in an odd fashion to get the tape out and put a new one in, you could have a faulty firewire port on your camera and you were just lucky to be able to capture the first tape.

Make sure the camera itself is recognizable or that other working cameras are recognized by iMovie... IE: They show up as an option in the capture menu.

Otherwise you should just be able to capture one tape after another after another in iMovie without changing configurations... I would blame this problem on the camera at first, pending a few tests.

3. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Maybe you should switch off your camera ? It shoudn't be a problem to import 2 tapes. At least not the second tape. For the third things can get complicated with iMovie because it has a 2 hour limit! You cannot import in total material that is over 2 hours long. But I would guess that is not the problem here because I estimate your first tape being around 60min-90min.

4. maggieoh thread starter macrumors newbie

importing successive tapes

Thanks for your response. When I changed from the 1st to the 2nd tape I got the message "camera turned off" and the screen switched to isight. The firewire cable comes off too easily. I'll check if it's the camera or the cable. Thanks again, Maggie