Importing video to Imovie '11

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rizzler78, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Rizzler78 macrumors newbie

I am new to Mac, but hopefully someone can help me. I have a Canon A3100 IS digital camera and i am trying to export video to Imovie '11. The videos i have in my camera go to Iphoto but i cant get them to Imovie '11. I read there was a list of "supported cameras" and mine isnt one of them. I thought when you open Imovie it checks Iphoto for videos. Can i manually transfer them from Iphoto to Imovie?

I am using Mac OS X 10.6.6

Any help appreciated

2. sjcook macrumors newbie

I will find more info for you on imovie, but your camera should be supported I would think.... I have had several Cannons in the past and they have always been supported......

Are you turning your camera on to the correct function?

3. sjcook macrumors newbie

IF you google imovie 11 help, a user manuel should come up with instructions for you.

4. Rizzler78 thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked the list of supported devices and my camera is not on it. Does this mean i basically cannot use Imovie ?

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

According to the manual, the movies are .avi files, which can be made using various codecs, some of which may not be recognised by iMovie.

Try using the sftware that came with the camera, and this manual:
    http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/7/0300003047/01/IB65_EN.pdf
    to import your movies onto your Mac, and then use MPEGStreamclip to export them to Quicktime using the Apple Intermediate Codec setting. You should then be able to import them into iMovie.