Importing videos to iTunes (and encoding settings)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cinderwolf, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Cinderwolf macrumors newbie

I read a post indentical to the problem I'm encountering from several months ago, but the fix doesn't seem to be working.
    My situation is such: I use Handbrake to encode video files for use with my iPhone 3G - but getting them into iTunes is the issue.

I encode from an .avi file to the .mp4 format and then rename the extension to m4v - clicking and dragging (as well as File > Add File) into my library does absolutely nothing.
    Now, I encoded a file on saturday morning and for some reason, it worked. I think I might be missing a setting somewhere.

My handbrake settings are such:
    output to .mp4 format
    MPEG4-XviD format (or the FFmpeg format)
    single-pass video encoding
    resolution 480x320
    output size: 300mb

Originally, the file that worked was a 700mb .avi file movie that was converted to approximately 670mb for the iphone.. it was approximately 1:40:00 in length. I am trying to convert a 45minute video clip to 300mb (half that size). I believe the encode worked once on the 45 minute video, but when it was over 500mb in size.

If anybody has any ideas, please let me know.

2. Cinderwolf thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it seems I need to use the h.264 video codec with the option iPod 5g support option enabled. Takes over a half hour to convert the video, but now iTunes recognizes the files and can now add to the library.

Hey moddies! ^_^ I think this thread is done now.