Impossible 3GS Issues

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by angelo1980, Jun 15, 2011.

1. angelo1980 macrumors newbie

Hello all!

My iPhone 3GS won't go past the apple logo at startup. I have tried restoring it several times. iTunes claims that it has been successful, but the problem remains nevertheless.

I have only once or twice been successful syncing my iphone. There have always been issues, and typically I lose all my data whenever I plug the thing into the PC.

I don't know if it's related, but iTunes won't let me restore from backup, either.

If anybody could help, I'd be appreciative and awestruck!

2. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

What firmware version are you trying to restore to? Are you doing a stock restore or is a custom IPSW?

If it's stuck at just the Apple logo it's most likely a hardware issue. I've ran into several 3G/3Gs models that had a faulty sensor or #3 connector. The phone acts normal in iTunes with restores, etc but won't pass the Apple logo.

3. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

4. angelo1980, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011

angelo1980 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for this info. I was originally trying to restore to 4.2.1, but it didn't work. Then I tried to update to 4.3.3. I also used a custom ISPW along the way. These were all attempts to get it to work. But there were so many problems along the way, it's hard to tell what put me in this situation.

I brought it to the "genius" bar today and they couldn't fix it. Brought it to an independent iPhone repair shop and they couldn't either. They thought I might have destroyed my logic board somehow.

I did open my phone up before this problem occurred, just to fix my home button. It worked after I put it together, and seemed to break only after I was messing around with the software.

I tried opening it and taking the third ribbon out and putting it back in again, but it's the same. You think I might need to replace the ribbon cables?

Thanks,
    Angelo

Edit: I thought the 3rd connector was for sound...why does it affect startup?

5. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

Try to boot the phone with the #3 unplugged from the board completely and see what happens.

6. angelo1980 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tried it, and I get the same result.

Edit: WAIT A MINUTE...it now gives me an emergency call option....progress???!!!???

7. angelo1980 thread starter macrumors newbie

WHOA NELLIE!!!

This sucker's working again!!!!

I just need a new ribbon cable. I'll just get a new digitizer and glass...seems easier.

Thank you Tyler!!! That is awesome advice. I can't believe the genius bar and the other repair shop didn't even know about this.

You have no idea how elated I am. 30 minutes ago I was looking for cheap phones for sale.

8. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

No problem, glad I could help. Now just so you know the #3 has nothing to do with the glass or digitizer. That's the #2 connector. What I'd suggest purchasing is a half front assembly. Basically that's the entire front of the phone minus the LCD which you don't need. Simply swap the LCD from your old assembly to the new and your phone should be good as new.

9. angelo1980 thread starter macrumors newbie

I meant the entire front part. I cracked my digitizer once, and replaced it with the whole front part to avoid all the blow dryer work. Makes more sense why the thing broke (I got that whole front part for $10).