Impossible case requirements?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Ruffian829, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Ruffian829 macrumors 6502

I've read tons of reviews and posts on this forum but I still can't quite find a case that'll work for me... I am starting to wonder if one exists
    Right now I have an incase book jacket- I don't like it because 1) its way too thick, 2) it won't lie flat when the cover is folded all the way around (this drives me NUTS) and 3) the cover that flips around has started to warp and become slightly U shaped so it doesn't lie flat.

I like the look of the Toblino 2 and the SwitchEasy Canvas but I use a logitech wireless keyboard with my iPad on a daily basis and I need the keyboard to be able to fit right in front of the iPad (some of the desks at school are pretty small)- I am worried that that front clip will prevent the keyboard from fitting in front of the iPad when it is in a viewing mode. The keyboard is about 5" deep.

So I'm looking for a thin, folio type case, preferably leather but I am not that picky at all (although the reports of the strong smell of yaboo cases totally turned me off) that will work with my keyboard set-up and that will lie flat when the cover is folded all the way back. I don't have $100 to spend either (thinking like $60 or under). I dont really care if it has auto sleep/wake although it would be nice.

ANYONE have ANY recommendations?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

What don't you like about using a SmartCover with a clear skin for the back of the ipad2?

3. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

I worried about "traveling" so much with it to school in my bookbag to use just a smart cover and a hard case type on the back. I got
    One for my mom- some Griffen one and it felt super cheap

----------

Oh and I wanted an actual case (not clear skin) because with my luck I'll drop it or my one year old will get ahold of if or something.

4. MainStream macrumors member

MainStream

Have you looked at Vaja? They're kind of pricey but they fit, work and protect all in a slim package.

5. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd love the vaja but I just can't swing $100-$150 on an iPad case

6. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone have any experience with the Speck Fit Folio? I saw it at target- seemed kinda cheap feeling?

7. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

Not leather but the STM skinny sounds just what you need...

8. Ruffian829, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ugh now I'm all worried about the edges being so exposed but I guess that's just a tradeoff

9. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Maybe look at the smart cover in tandem with something else. I use a smart cover and zum sc ultimate back cover

10. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

Does the Evio only offer that one typing position? No viewing angles?
    With so many reports of the smart cover moving I didn't think it was the best option for being in a bookbag. And I'm not a huge fan of the covers folding positions as I heard they don't work well on soft surfaces?

11. cryingrobot macrumors regular

I know you are looking for a folio but the speck handyshell is the best case. I cant recommend it enough. Its rugged and that fixed handle is so versatile as a stand and convenient for holding. Only drawback is lack of a front cover.

12. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I was very happy with my Incase Mag Snap coupled with an Apple Smart cover. All corners were protected, would sit flat, nice grippy surface for holding and very good protection overall.

https://goincase.com/m/#product/iPad 2/CL57970

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

ZAGG LeatherSKIN + Apple Leather Smartcover has a very nice feel, appeareance, and has proven to be robust in a thin minimalistic packaging.

If you want impact protection, get an Otterbox.

You can't have both.

14. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

My concern with a hardshell and no front cover or a smart cover and just a zagg shield or the like is that I need to be able to put this in my bookbag and have it survive, I worry that leaves it a bit unprotected?

So far, I think my best option is to stick with the book jacket despite the downsides, I haven't been able to find anything else that looks like it'll work.
    The spec fitfolio or the ifrogz summit looked good but the mixed reviews made me wonder if they were really worth it.

And, considering I do have a one year old, maybe the extra bulk and protection isn't such a bad thing. :-/

15. nate13 macrumors 6502

nate13

My griffin case just broke a corner, this is AWESOME. My next case for sure, unless you have any reservations whatsoever :confused:

16. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

^^ None whatsoever other than the cost perhaps. Look at the ZUM case as well...its supposed to be similar but has these little plastic "catches" that grip and hold the SmartCover in place, meaning even if you hold the whole ensemble by the SmartCover itself, it will still stay in place. Supposed to be a bit cheaper also.

What I really like about the Incase Snap/Smartcover combo is that you get an additional position to hold the case angled. I use Noteability for note-taking and really find this position to be the best for taking notes. The native "angled" position from a Smartcover alone is just too much for me to use without bending over to peer at the screen all the time.

Incase Mag Snap "unique" position:
    [​IMG]

Normal SmartCover position:
    [​IMG]

17. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

I use notability religiously as well. I may have to consider this type of case more than I have in the past.