impossible future intel processor claims!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by robbie12345, Nov 5, 2011.

1. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

hi, just to let you know i am not a scientist or any type of micro physicist. but i do no a thing or to about quantum mechanics. first i was looking at the future of intel processors roadmap and it said that in 2018 they were going to have the processor skymont which will be based on a 10nm transistor! I'm just curios

A) i no that with quantum mechanics is that an atom is about 10nm wide, anything smaller then that is considered smaller then an atom (obviously) but if it is smaller then an atom quantum mechanics take over and its unstable and starts randomly teleporting all over the place. so my question is if a transistor (which it is) more then one atom, as in it is mo0re then one part which an atom is maximumly one part then won't it be impossible

B) if they were to actually pull it off what kind of power consumption would it mean for things like laptops (doubt they will have them anymore by then:roll eyes: ) and smartphones and tablets

and
    C) as for the processor itself what do you think it will be composed of ( how many cores, cache, fsb, clock speed, etc.)

Thanks for ur opinions this is my first forum so I'm just trying to understand this better thank you

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

3. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

You know....

"when I was a small kid".... my buddy had Commodore 64 (re: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_64 ) and it was amazing. It was the hottest selling computer of its day. And, it sparked my career into Computer Science direction. That system was magic.

Today, that 64K (yes, "K") with NO hard disk, no CD/DVD, no USB, no wireless and no SSD "computer system" is now rated a door stop. Actually, probably less than a door stop. Yet during its day, it was the most amazing computer system on earth.

In say 10-15-20 more years from today, where will our current "top of the line" iMac i7 with SSD systems be rated? Probably less then a door stop as well. And, our wrist watch will the our super computer system.

Yes, anything is possible in the future. One simply has to believe and make it come true. Never let the words "that's impossible" enter one's mind....

4. robbie12345 thread starter macrumors 6502

thx

thx for the article on atoms size so i guess it physically is possible to make a 10nm transistor but as for the lambda article i now see that make transistors smaller doesn't really greatly make a difference on the power consumption so i 7 years we will be seeing processors with half the power consumption, my only question is as for processors they can add 1gb of cache and make 5 trillion gigahertz ram with 10billion terabyte rm sticks , 10 trillion cores but i wouldd like to see a chip with a 6 ghz clock speed first, i no this is hard due to mores law but as the second poster said nothing is impossible ;) also what is a door stop did u mean stoop

5. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

6. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

You just made an incorrect unit conversion!