Impossible/Insane iMac=MBA SSD Swap?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tensakun, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

Sorry if this scenario sounds stupid, I have no experience with SSD.

The plan: replace my MacBook '08 with a MBA-11" (for road) + iMac (for fancier stuff at home). Want to buy a 3rd party SSD (probably OWC) to replace stock MBA SSD (128 GB) and THEN put MBA SSD in iMac.

Realize that a 3.5" drive obviously couldn't fit in a laptop, but could the 2.5" go into (and work) in the iMac, possibly with modified mounts? Or would using an external case via Firewire (Thunderbolt?) negate the SSD's speed for running the OS+apps?

If this idea is not workable, any other suggestions:confused:

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

NO problems with a 2.5 SSD in an iMac, but the MBA does not have one.
    MBA uses a custom SSD that only exists in MBA atm, the SSD looks more like a RAM stick than a SSD

3. Tensakun thread starter macrumors 6502

Tensakun

Thanks for quick reply. So I guess that means my original scheme is impossible. In that case, suppose best bet is to go with the $399 256GB SSD upgrade by Apple for the MBA and then upgrade the iMac to SSD at my leisure (or when I scrape up the money).

Two quick Q's: 1) Are there any enclosure kits for those "special" MBA SSD drives? Didn't notice any looking thru OWC site; 2) Is there much advantage to adding an SSD to an iMac for running the OS/Apps?

4. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

I can tell you owning the new 13 ultimate air OMG SSD is redic fast and I like yourself seem to want to replace everything in the house with an SSD lol