Impossible reset SMC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Darkiswhite, May 25, 2017.

1. Darkiswhite macrumors newbie

Darkiswhite

Hi guys, I find myself faced with a strange problem.
    A couple of days ago the power supply of my MacBook Pro 15 early 2011, greeted me. Meanwhile I buy another one and I realize immediately that the battery level indicators are no longer responding.
    Then, starting up and using the Macbook, I realize that the battery charge level does not reach 100%, despite the fact that the battery is not brand new but still working, this adds the annoying problem that within safari in some sites The uppercase letter t is no longer available, while in other sites and applications it works smoothly.

In short all the annoying and strange problems that I suggest do a nice SMC reset to solve it all.
    I turned off the macbook with the power plugged in, I pressed the keystrokes for the reset, that is: Shift + Control + Alt + Power button, but everything stays silent.
    I disconnected and plugged the battery, but idem.
    I do not know how to reset and I do not understand what the problem is at the base.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That is the correct key combination to reset the SMC. Your Macbook won't make a noise when the SMC is reset.

3. Darkiswhite thread starter macrumors newbie

Darkiswhite

It does not even start, in practice it does not reset

4. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Apple changed the SMC reset instructions in Feb 2017 to say unplug the power before the keystrokes:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201295

Nothing happens when you do this, everything stays silent.

My MacBook recently would not start....seemed completely dead. Applecare said do the SMC reset. I was sceptical as the machine was completely dead, but I did it anyway and it started up after the reset.

5. Darkiswhite thread starter macrumors newbie

Darkiswhite

This time I run the reset without connected magsafe.
    I held down the keys for 10 seconds, after I plugged in the power and started the macbook.
    Problems still remain.

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Maybe it's time to question your assumptions then?

7. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

What did this mean in your OP?: "A couple of days ago the power supply of my MacBook Pro 15 early 2011, greeted me."

I wouldn't expect an SMC reset to solve the keystroke probs but it might have done the battery related one.

8. Darkiswhite thread starter macrumors newbie

Darkiswhite

It means the power supply did not work and I replaced it with a new one.

Now the problems are: uppercase letter t does not work in safari, and the battery indicator is not even.
    --- Post Merged, May 25, 2017 ---
    Ok the problem of t is resolved and was caused by a safari extension. The problem with the battery indicator remains.