Impossible reset SMC

Darkiswhite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2017
Hi guys, I find myself faced with a strange problem.
A couple of days ago the power supply of my MacBook Pro 15 early 2011, greeted me. Meanwhile I buy another one and I realize immediately that the battery level indicators are no longer responding.
Then, starting up and using the Macbook, I realize that the battery charge level does not reach 100%, despite the fact that the battery is not brand new but still working, this adds the annoying problem that within safari in some sites The uppercase letter t is no longer available, while in other sites and applications it works smoothly.

In short all the annoying and strange problems that I suggest do a nice SMC reset to solve it all.
I turned off the macbook with the power plugged in, I pressed the keystrokes for the reset, that is: Shift + Control + Alt + Power button, but everything stays silent.
I disconnected and plugged the battery, but idem.
I do not know how to reset and I do not understand what the problem is at the base.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That is the correct key combination to reset the SMC. Your Macbook won't make a noise when the SMC is reset.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2006
UK
In short all the annoying and strange problems that I suggest do a nice SMC reset to solve it all.
I turned off the macbook with the power plugged in, I pressed the keystrokes for the reset, that is: Shift + Control + Alt + Power button, but everything stays silent.
I disconnected and plugged the battery, but idem.
I do not know how to reset and I do not understand what the problem is at the base.
Apple changed the SMC reset instructions in Feb 2017 to say unplug the power before the keystrokes:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201295

Nothing happens when you do this, everything stays silent.

My MacBook recently would not start....seemed completely dead. Applecare said do the SMC reset. I was sceptical as the machine was completely dead, but I did it anyway and it started up after the reset.

Darkiswhite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2017
This time I run the reset without connected magsafe.
I held down the keys for 10 seconds, after I plugged in the power and started the macbook.
Problems still remain.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2006
UK
This time I run the reset without connected magsafe.
I held down the keys for 10 seconds, after I plugged in the power and started the macbook.
Problems still remain.
What did this mean in your OP?: "A couple of days ago the power supply of my MacBook Pro 15 early 2011, greeted me."

I wouldn't expect an SMC reset to solve the keystroke probs but it might have done the battery related one.

Darkiswhite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2017
It means the power supply did not work and I replaced it with a new one.

Now the problems are: uppercase letter t does not work in safari, and the battery indicator is not even.
[doublepost=1495733689][/doublepost]Ok the problem of t is resolved and was caused by a safari extension. The problem with the battery indicator remains.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.