Impossible to buy a phone without an existing telephone number?????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Scott6666, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

When I try to order a new phone a screen pops up at the end asking for my carrier information. And you can't add a phone to your bag without filling that in. Is it really impossible just to buy a new phone if you don't already have one??

Can this be so?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yeah, that's the case. I think it's to prevent scalping.

3. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

if you are paying full price on Apple's Website no need for any information. Simply add to cart and pay.

4. cwosigns macrumors 65832

cwosigns

This isn't true. I paid full price, and I had to enter my Verizon account information.

5. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

Hmm. A dozen of my friend and I ordered T-Mobile and paid in full. Didn't ask for a phon number. This is direct from apple.com. And this apply to both website and apple app. The order literally took 20 seconds via the app with Apple Pay. Good luck. Sorry, we all T-Mobile here's.

6. reyalP macrumors 6502

reyalP

I'm in the same boat. Prepaid Verizon wireless customer and can't buy a phone. Waiting on the sim free model which I hope will be out in the next couple of months.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

You have to buy the T-Mobile phone if you are doing it online and don't want to enter carrier info. Your other option is reserve the phone you want and pay in full during in store pickup. Reserve doesn't require carrier info.

8. Jnyce macrumors regular

T-Mobile is unlocked for gsm.....no number needed.....Verizon and sprint you have to input phone information or wait for the sim free since the Verizon/sprint model is the true international model.

9. RedOrchestra Suspended

You might want to fact check that statement here - http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

10. Jnyce macrumors regular

11. RedOrchestra Suspended

Did you even read the article you cited or the link I posted?

12. Scott6666 thread starter macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Will Verizon allow you to put a T-Mobile phone on their network without too much hassle?

13. Jnyce macrumors regular

"The one sold by AT&T and T-Mobile will never support Verizon's or Sprint's CDMA networks, so if you want a phone that works on all four carriers, you need to get the Verizon or Sprint models."

Hence att and T-Mobile aren't true world phone if they can't run on cdma network, even though with gsm they can run on other networks that require SIM cards. When unlocked ofcourse
    --- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2016 ---

You can go to Verizon website and do a a mock order and it will tell you if they can port you number over.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This year if you are on Verizon you need the Verizon phone. The T-Mobile phone lacks CDMA

15. Scott6666 thread starter macrumors 65816

Scott6666

So it is actually impossible to become a new Verizon customer from the Apple Store.

16. tallazzPilipino, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016

tallazzPilipino macrumors 6502

tallazzPilipino

this year, it looks like both Sprint and Verizon share the same models? T-Mo and ATT being the same as well?

[​IMG]
    1660 - 7
    1661 - 7 Plus

I ordered an unlocked Sprint model to use on both my Sprint and on T-Mo.

17. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Correct. Verizon just sometimes will not activate new phones unless it is SIM free or a Verizon model.