Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luisadastwin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Hello all,

I have an iPhone 5 - 6.1.2 - JB.

I accidentally erased all texts (SMS / iMessages) from one of my contacts.

I noticed that I have an iCloud backup some hours before deleting the texts!

I would like to make a simple backup restore... not a FULL restore.. just the main important data (contacts, texts, etc.)...

I tried to ERASE ALL DATA AND SETTINGS but it sucks on the spinning wheel...

PLEASE, how can I make a simple restore from iCloud keeping Jailbreak and 6.1.2? Is that so freaking hard? I'm already sorry for not keeping my backups in iTunes! :(

Thanks!

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hello all,

I have an iPhone 5 - 6.1.2 - JB.

I accidentally erased all texts (SMS / iMessages) from one of my contacts.

I noticed that I have an iCloud backup some hours before deleting the texts!

I would like to make a simple backup restore... not a FULL restore.. just the main important data (contacts, texts, etc.)...

I tried to ERASE ALL DATA AND SETTINGS but it sucks on the spinning wheel...

PLEASE, how can I make a simple restore from iCloud keeping Jailbreak and 6.1.2? Is that so freaking hard? I'm already sorry for not keeping my backups in iTunes! :(

Thanks!

You couldn't do it before (that I know of) but you then did one of the biggest jailbreak no nos by hitting erase all settings and content. That is something you absolutely cannot do when jailbroken. Your only option now is a full restore, which will update you to 6.1.3.

luisadastwin

macrumors regular
Original poster
WOW :eek:

I didn't know that! I was lucky because nothing happened :s

So, for JB devices, we must forget all about iCloud, right?

Is there any 3rd party software to handle iCloud backups so that I can restore it on iTunes?

I suppose we can do the backup restore in iTunes with ease and still preserving the 6.1.2 JB, right?

Thank You!

you did one of the biggest jailbreak no nos by hitting erase all settings and content. That is something you absolutely cannot do when jailbroken. Your only option now is a full restore, which will update you to 6.1.3.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
WOW :eek:

I didn't know that! I was lucky because nothing happened :s

So, for JB devices, we must forget all about iCloud, right?

Is there any 3rd party software to handle iCloud backups so that I can restore it on iTunes?

I suppose we can do the backup restore in iTunes with ease and still preserving the 6.1.2 JB, right?

Thank You!

iCloud is fine for jailbroken phones. You can still back up to iCloud. The problem is in restoring. Currently with the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5, there is no way to restore them without updating the firmware. Restoring period will update the phone, it makes no difference which method of backing up you use. It there is a problem forcing a restore on a jailbroken 4S or 5, you will lose your jailbreak.

luisadastwin

macrumors regular
Original poster
:confused:

So, even if I restore a backup in iTunes, it will also update the firmware?!? Didn't know that also.... Damn.. So I'm stuck ... :s

But I read in some forum that there are two "types" of restoring:
1 - Full restore, resetting iPhone and mandatory firmware update
2 - Only restore important data from existing backup (texts, contacts, pics, etc..) without resetting or erasing any other data....

Is this true?

Thanks!

Luis

iCloud is fine for jailbroken phones. You can still back up to iCloud. The problem is in restoring. Currently with the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5, there is no way to restore them without updating the firmware. Restoring period will update the phone, it makes no difference which method of backing up you use. It there is a problem forcing a restore on a jailbroken 4S or 5, you will lose your jailbreak.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
:confused:

So, even if I restore a backup in iTunes, it will also update the firmware?!? Didn't know that also.... Damn.. So I'm stuck ... :s

But I read in some forum that there are two "types" of restoring:
1 - Full restore, resetting iPhone and mandatory firmware update
2 - Only restore important data from existing backup (texts, contacts, pics, etc..) without resetting or erasing any other data....

Is this true?

Thanks!

Luis

For normal situations, you can restore your information from an iTunes backup without dealing with the firmware. In your case though, a DFU restore is in order which will update the firmware.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Thanks.

Bout You say "DFU restore is in order" because I want to restore from an iCloud backup and not from iTunes backup, is that it?

A DFU restore is required because you selected Erase All Content and Settings, which, on a jailbroken phone, puts you in an infinite boot loop. At this point, you must DFU restore to fully restore the firmware as new to get your phone running again. At that point, you may restore from a previous backup from iTunes or iCloud, but you will have lost the ability to be jailbroken.

luisadastwin

macrumors regular
Original poster
:eek: Sorry! I wasn't completely explicit!

Yes, my iPhone got stuck in a infinite spinning wheel, BUT after a soft reset (home+power for 10 seconds), I was able to put it in just fine! Like I never did anything. The only thing I tried again was to RESET SETTINGS in hope of getting the initial Wizard where I can restore from iCloud but with no luck after two "settings resets".

So my iPhone is just fine... I just need the TEXTS (SMS) that are on my last iCloud backup from yesterday... Just that :s

Thank You

A DFU restore is required because you selected Erase All Content and Settings, which, on a jailbroken phone, puts you in an infinite boot loop. At this point, you must DFU restore to fully restore the firmware as new to get your phone running again. At that point, you may restore from a previous backup from iTunes or iCloud, but you will have lost the ability to be jailbroken.

aj.ilover04

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2011
:eek: Sorry! I wasn't completely explicit!

Yes, my iPhone got stuck in a infinite spinning wheel, BUT after a soft reset (home+power for 10 seconds), I was able to put it in just fine! Like I never did anything. The only thing I tried again was to RESET SETTINGS in hope of getting the initial Wizard where I can restore from iCloud but with no luck after two "settings resets".

So my iPhone is just fine... I just need the TEXTS (SMS) that are on my last iCloud backup from yesterday... Just that :s

Thank You

You can try this thing. Worked on my friend's 4S.
If iCloud backup is ON in your iPhone then just go to Settings -> iCloud -> Storage & Backup and there should be an option of restoring.

Hope it helps :)

Last edited:

luisadastwin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Thank you for your reply!

But I'm sorry because I didn't understand your solution :confused:

I need to RESTORE iPhone FROM my last iCloud backup... just that... I do NOT which to backup again...

Cheers!

You can try this thing. Worked on my friend's 4S.
If iCloud backup is ON in your iPhone then just go to Settings -> iCloud -> Storage & Backup and there should be an option of backing up.

Hope it helps :)

aj.ilover04

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2011
Thank you for your reply!

But I'm sorry because I didn't understand your solution :confused:

I need to RESTORE iPhone FROM my last iCloud backup... just that... I do NOT which to backup again...

Cheers!

Sorry. My bad. I wanted to write RESTORE there. I have now edited it.

aj.ilover04

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2011
YES,

The only OPTION there when it's ON is precisely "Back Up Now".

If your read Apple articles, they all say I must wipe out all DATA in iPhone to have an iCloud restore... :(

Ohk. Sorry, I forgot that. Well then you have to decide whether your texts are more important or your JB.
Sorry man!

insomniak50

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2013
thats exactly what i did..lol.. i keep looking and looking hopefully something comes up quick..let me know if you find something and i;ll let you know if i come up with something..

boondaha

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2014
So, for some reason my backup on iTunes has completely disappeared... I had one from earlier today, and yesterday and they have both gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.