Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeteJames

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
England
I have a Western Digital Elements 2 TB External Desktop Hard Drive (USB 2.0) The cable that comes with it ridiculously short - maybe just over 1m.

This needs a USB To Micro B Cable but I have bought 3 different ones which have failed to work from various sources and brands? I tried a couple of 2m ones & 3m but none of them will allow the HD to show up in OSX - It's as if I haven't plugged anything in?

Why can't I find a cable that will work with it? Can anyone recommend me a cable that will definitely work that is 3m (or at least 2m)?

Really frustrating on an otherwise decent drive.
Thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
I have similar WD drives (the MyBook Studio HDDs) and the Micro-USB port is quite finicky on some of them.
Does the HDD not even show up in Disk Utility?

And have you tried an SMC reset yet? It helped me with some HDDs and their mounting issues. Jane can tell stories about it.
Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) (Apple Support Site)

If the first link does not work, as the Apple Support Pages are bit funky these last weeks:
Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) (PDF from that Apple Support Page about resetting the SMC)​

PeteJames

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
England
I have similar WD drives (the MyBook Studio HDDs) and the Micro-USB port is quite finicky on some of them.
Does the HDD not even show up in Disk Utility?

And have you tried an SMC reset yet? It helped me with some HDDs and their mounting issues. Jane can tell stories about it.
Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) (Apple Support Site)

If the first link does not work, as the Apple Support Pages are bit funky these last weeks:
Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) (PDF from that Apple Support Page about resetting the SMC)​

There isn't a problem with the drive - the WD cable works perfectly and everything functions fine - Its just too short. And other brands of cable I've tried won't work. SMC reset?

Last edited:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
This is a common problem with many external drives. Unless you use the 6-12" cable that comes with it, it just won't function. It's a pitty because I (like most people) have a ton of longer USB cables from old cell phones and other peripherals that would be great to use with it but unless I use short ones they just won't show up. Sadly this is the same problem I have with my Zotac Mini Displayport to Dual HDMI "splitter". If I try to replace the 6" Mini Displayport cable with a longer monoprice one it won't function. I'm sure there is a technical reason behind it, but alas it just leaves us using the included cables and move on.

PeteJames

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
England
Thanks for the info. Oh no! It's a bit of a nightmare. I never had this problem when drives used to use the normal usb cables before they started with micro Bs and stuff. Anyone know why?

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Thanks for the info. Oh no! It's a bit of a nightmare. I never had this problem when drives used to use the normal usb cables before they started with micro Bs and stuff. Anyone know why?

This has been a problem with the WD hard drives for some time now. Even before going to the MINI plug. Other drives I have don't have this problem. It all comes down to the USB transceiver they use; it seems like the one from WD is horrible and won't handle additional noise / attenuation of a longer cable. This really does suck.

I switched away from WD because of this and most other drives seem to be fine with longer cables. Something about the USB chip they are using just sucks.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Maybe this is a stupid suggestion, but have you tried to use the original cable connected to the drive and then a USB extension cord to the computer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.