Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
hey.

Can anyone confirm Apple have changed this in iOS10?

My watch is always on silent as I prefer to hear alerts through my phone.

Before this was fine... but now the watch overrides iOS10 and causes the phone to be silent even though I haven't flicked the silent mode switch.

Do Apple not appreciate that I'm well aware of the silent button on my phone and that when it's not enabled ; I don't want silent mode on?

Thanks for any help!

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
It's always worked that way for me. iOS 10 has nothing to do with it. If your watch is on, notifications go there. If the watch is off (as in not wearing it) notifications go on the phone. If there are specific apps you want the phone to notify you on, you can change that in the Watch app on the phone.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
It's always worked that way for me. iOS 10 has nothing to do with it. If your watch is on, notifications go there. If the watch is off (as in not wearing it) notifications go on the phone. If there are specific apps you want the phone to notify you on, you can change that in the Watch app on the phone.

The only thing I can add is if you happen to have your phone unlocked the notificatiosn go to the phone and not the watch or sometimes both.

Reactions: Mabus51

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Notifications always went to my watch and my phone.

Though the watch would only vibrate as it was on silent.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Notifications always went to my watch and my phone.

Though the watch would only vibrate as it was on silent.

The logic is supposed to be:

phone locked, watch on wrist = notification to watch
phone unlocked, watch on wrist = notification to phone

watch not on wrist = normal iPhone behavior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.