Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

draakje

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Hi,

I just noticed something weird on my iphone; when typing a message (sms or email or whatever) it is impossible to type the word "okee". When the letters o-k-e are there, I can't select the letters "e" or "t" on the digital keyboard; it even enlarges the "r" when I hold the letter "e".

I was wondering if anyone has the same problem, or if this is a known bug or something, not that I use the combination of letters often, but still.. I'm curious to see if it's just my iphone going crazy or if others have the same issue.

draakje

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Hmm, then I guess my iphone has a personal issue with the combination of letters, even after a restart it won't work. But well, I can live with it ;)

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
It's not a problem... It's the SOLUTION!

This actually is supposed to happen, try typing "genre" too. In SMS and other native apps while typing in portrait mode the auto-correction does a pretty cool thing, you can't see it but it actually enlarges and shrinks the key sizes to make the letters that are common easier to hit and the ones that you most likely wouldn't use small or even non-existent... But don't worry, if you can't hit the letter on a real word like "genre" it will recognize that you weren't trying to type "gener" or "genee" and auto-correct it for you. If you don't like this you can easily turn off auto-correct in your settings and type all the fake words you want.

draakje

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Ah you're right! I didn't know that, thanks!
I have to admit that the auto-correction does do a great job in learning from my previous typing, but I didn't know this was one of its features.
Problem solved :D

DPA

macrumors 65816
This explains why I have trouble texting sometimes. I am a very fast typer, but need auto-correction on my iPhone because when I am moving my fingers so fast, I am bound to make a few, or more, errors. I wish I could turn off just the letter enlarging thing and not auto-correction itself.

David

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
This explains why I have trouble texting sometimes. I am a very fast typer, but need auto-correction on my iPhone because when I am moving my fingers so fast, I am bound to make a few, or more, errors. I wish I could turn off just the letter enlarging thing and not auto-correction itself.

David

Wow, I'm honored that I was able to teach the "guru" something. Haha, I've always seen your well-informed responses on other threads and secretly thought "I can only dream to know as much as David some day". I guess I'm on the right path, haha.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US

David

Jailbreaking would solve your dilemma. ;)

I've got a Blackberry keyboard that lights up blue rather than enlarging when you press a key.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.