Impressed by iOS 5 beta stability

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JCCL, Jun 7, 2011.

1. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Hello everyone...this thread is not to discuss new features but merely to discuss stability. I have been impressed so far with iOS 5 beta stability. Since the the Apple team are making good use of the extra time due to the new release schedule. iOS 5 has been really good so far in my iPhone 4. This beta runs a lot better then any iOS Beta before this. At this stage, iOS 3 and 4 beta releases were really slow, crashed a lot and had all kinds of problems. Not this time, I am finding it runs almost as good as the latest iOS 4.3 version, and so far no crashes at all. Ran heavyweights Infiniy Blade and Real Racing 2 and so far both run as good as it did previously. Has it been the same to all of you?

2. DJAKO macrumors 6502a

I'm glad to hear a positive response on the stability because I plan on installing it today. Am I still able to restore from the previous 4.3.3 backup I have after I install iOS 5? I would like to keep my text messages and stuff and not have to start fresh.

3. JCCL thread starter macrumors 6502a

You can restore from a backup, you phone ends up with everything like you had it.

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Yeah, I've found it really stable too. The only issue I've seen is home sharing to the iOS device seems really flaky and doesn't really work at all (thumbnails messing up, crashes, playing the wrong video, etc, etc).

Apart from that, I've had no problems with any built in or third party apps and performance-wise it's as good as 4.3

5. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

SAME HERE, actually runs better than before .

6. luked14 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

The only problem I have run into is the settings app crashing several times when trying to do things with iCloud.

7. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

I'm having the complete opposite experience. The settings app crashes every minute or so, and forget about doing anything with iCloud. Also there seem to be periods of random extreme slowdown, where it can take upto 5 seconds for the phone to respond to input. Not stable at all, but of course it's a beta.

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Me too, it's been running really well. Only gripe is that you can't sync more than 1 month of mail for gmail exchange. What's up with that? :confused::confused:

9. stuffradio macrumors 65816

The notification screen crashed for me when trying to go to the Words with Friends app from a notification that it was my turn.

10. Jumpman2033 macrumors regular

How is the battery running iOS 5? notice any extra drain throughout normal usage? I plan on installing iOS 5 when i get home. My only concern is if something bad happens i won't be able to go back to the latest official released iOS.

11. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

please post what phone your running it on, as of now its very good on the iphone 4.

12. samwize macrumors newbie

Good to hear it is stable than previous betas. I have nightmares with previous beta, but still eager to try iOS 5 haha.

13. MacBrim macrumors newbie

14. JCCL thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can't really comment on the Battery as I haven't had enough time to test it, but so far, it feels the same. Will post news on this as I get closer to it being empty.

15. Pared macrumors 65816

16. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Really stable on my 3Gs :) Very pleased as I was nervous about installing it!

17. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It's not implemented/doesn't work in beta 1

18. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I think I'll need to get round to paying for a UDID registration when I get paid in a couple of weeks time. I know it's only £10 or something to get a Dev to register your UDID for you, but I'm how do you say, "skint" right now lol.

Gagging to try out iOS 5.

19. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

Well. I did tests in advance of my update on my i4 running 4.3.3

Draining 7-9% faster but I am running full notifications. Meaning the weather and stocks. Can't imagine that alone is the cause. Will test again later