Impressed with MBP update - which display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 59n18e, Feb 24, 2011.

1. 59n18e macrumors newbie

I am very impressed with the MBP update. My 7 year old G5 died one month ago and have been waiting for the new iMac with SandyBridge i7. This MBP with i7 and Thunderxxx changes everything - not sure the iMac is needed! I can use the 15" MBP connected to my 24" Cinema display. Probably go for internal SSD, and large external storage for Aperture using Thunderxxx. Perfect.

One question: Which display Glossy or Anti-glare?

How will the new iMac beat this? (consider I already have a screen)

2. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

what's thunderxxx?

3. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

I think the OP meant to write thunderbolt but was murdered and landed on the 'x' key.

Then the murderer submitted the question.

4. 59n18e thread starter macrumors newbie

5. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

maybe you meant you wanted to have Thundercats on your MBP.
    Be more specific

THUNDERCATS HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

6. itripped macrumors member

To answer the original question, it really is a matter of preference. Go to the apple store (or whatever retailer you have nearby) and compare the matte and gloss finishes. Note that the matte finish does come with a silver bezel, while the gloss has a black bezel built in behind a single glass pane. Some prefer one, some prefer the other.

The only thing I know for sure is that we can't make up your mind for you. This is a matter of personal preference and there is no wrong answer. Go find out!

7. 59n18e thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - will delay order but agree with advice. I thought there might be consensus...

8. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Personally I like the glossy but I have a problem that they charge an extra $50 for the anti-glare.

Thunderbolt is weak name. Thunder is just noise but I assume they didn't go lightning bolt since it's copper and not optical. The emblem shouldn't be a lightning bolt for thunder though!

9. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Light Peak sounded uber-cool, I wish they had just called it Light Peak.

I guess since it's not fiber-optic yet in its implementation (it's copper right now), it doesn't use light bursts for operation so they couldn't call it LightPeak.