Impressed with my 2010 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scupking, Feb 9, 2011.

1. scupking macrumors 6502a

Downloaded BioShock from the app store yesterday. I have to say I'm impressed that my 13" 2010 MBP can play the game at high settings with no issues. I also am using an xbox 360 controller (wireless) and it works perfect.

2. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Glad you're happy with it. Ever feel that the 13" display is too small? Just curious.

3. Camps23 macrumors member

First I've heard of this with the xbox controller ? How are they compatible ?

4. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

You need a Microsoft USB Adapter

OP-
    I'm glad you're happy, my old 13" 2.53GHz with the 9400m had slight issues playing this, the new(er) 320m Graphics seems to be quite an improvement.

5. Petered macrumors newbie

Impressed

Im very impressed with mine also just bought it yesterday I don't think I can go back to PC for a laptop.

6. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

I was very impressed with mine until it broke after 2 days.. :eek:

Looking forward to my new one though :)

7. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Glad you like it & thanks for the heads-up about the 360 controller :)

8. scupking thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not at all to me its the perfect size and I'm not a small person (6"3 230lbs). I have had larger laptops and smaller laptops over the years. This also is my first apple laptop.

9. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Welcome to Macintosh.

Here's a post I wrote for new Mac users.

I recommend reading sites like Lifehacker, Engadget, Daring Fireball and TechMeme to keep in touch with the latest Apple news and usually free stuff.

10. nygfan80 macrumors regular

I like the smaller laptops. I usually lay down with the laptop on me, so it sits closer to my eyes. I had a 15" 2010 MBP with hi-res screen. I loved it, it was fast but it drove me nuts. It was just too big and I couldn't really keep it close to my face. It was my first Mac since the II-GS. I currently have a 14" Sony. It's the perfect size and weight. Not too big, not too lite. I made a big mistake with the laptop though. I bought it right before the Arrandale processors came out so it's a Core Duo which I am not fond of. That's a reason why I am staying away from the MBA and the 13" MBP right now. I hope they put an Arrandale or Sandy Bridge in the 13" MBP refresh.

11. newdeal macrumors 68020

the 13" is a very nice laptop. I had a couple weeks between macs and in the mean time used an older Asus I had. It had a cpu of about the same speed and same with gpu, 4gb of ram etc. Machine was pretty well matched spec wise to the macbook pro (even though the Asus is like 4 years old) but running windows 7 it was slow, the trackpad was small, unresponsive, with a horrible texture, the keyboard was clunky with a poorer texture to the keys and pressure needed to push them. Not to mention it sounded like a space shuttle launching due to the fan, it was slow, got really hot doing almost nothing and the battery lasted 2 hours max. It really made me want my mac.

12. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

But how can you survive without a Core iX processor??? I mean, really! It's gotta be impossible!

</sarcasm>

But yeah, I've had the same type of epiphany with mine. The 320m is a pretty powerful graphics card, and the processor was enough for, like, four generations of MBPs before it.

Throw an SSD in it, and you've got an insanely quick machine.

13. Apok macrumors regular

I bought my 13" MBP back in early July if i remember correctly from Microcenter, nice since I have one local. I must say I am damned happy with it, and do not regret going from a 17" Dell XPS to a 13" MBP. Needless to say that Dell was a monster and Ill never switch back. Though sometimes I do wish i had gone with the 15", perhaps next time I decide to upgrade I'll go a little bigger.

14. DoghouseMike macrumors regular

Yea, I'm loving mine too (not in that special way).
    I was a bit wary, as the new core i processors do kick arse, but no problems so far. To be fair, I rarely see both cores maxed as it is, although I think an SSD would speed things up a lot, AND make the CPU work harder, as it'd be getting flooded with info easier, if that makes sense? So at the moment, the hard drive is the bottle neck. I need more space too, so I think I'll be sticking with good ol rotating platters until the price comes right down on solid state memory, but I might bag me one of them seagate hybrid drives in a month or two.
    Pleasantly surprised with it's gaming performance too, and I've been doing some catching up. Bioshock (mac version) looks better on here than it did on my xbox, and so does new vegas (via windows 7).
    BUT, with imminent updates expected, I probably wouldn't spend my money on another one today.

15. hypervish89 macrumors regular

I'm impressed with my 13inch base mid-2010 as well, i use it for video editing on the go, when i'm not at home on my 27inch imac. The MBP is pretty capable, it can render 1080p in final cut pro like a piece of cake.

16. scupking thread starter macrumors 6502a

In a year or so I will put a SSD in and might upgrade the ram to 8GBs.

17. SerrQ macrumors member

SerrQ

I'm using the 13" MBP and I think it's the perfect size for a laptop, at first I thought it was to small because I was using 15,4" windows laptop but now I'm more than happy with the 13" screen.

18. Srirama macrumors member

Wow!,really?
    I have never pushed mine past 720p,thinking 1080p will be too much to handle. :p