Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
I got myself a $330 Toshiba (needed something cheap for school..comes from the person with a mac pro lol) and downloaded the Windows 7 RC, I gotta say it, I like what I'm seeing. The "taskbar" has really turned into the dock, and Microsoft has added a magnifier app as well as an screen capture application. Those are just some features that have a nice hint of OS X in it.

Anybody else like how Windows 7 is turning out? I'm going to end up purchasing both Snow Leopard and Windows 7, I think it's going to be a really level playing field this time around.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Snipping Tool was around in Vista. I've rarely used the Magnifier under Windows.

Out of the box you get a lot of hardware support.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I use the Start Menu as an application launcher now unless it's pinned in my taskbar. Windows Key + # will a launch a pinned application incrementing from the left to right.

Snipping Tool is very useful for me in general. I'm fond of the Resource Monitor as well.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I'll be honest with you. I have Leopard and Windows 7 on my 13" MBP. But Windows 7 is just a big yawn to me. It's the same old Microsoft clutter, registry, apps spread all over the place. Sorry but I don't feel the excitment.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I do like the eye candy, I have RC on my AA1 netbook. As long as it works, I have no complain.

Its taskbar is definitely better than dock, with more substantial information on there rather than just a place holding shorcuts and minimized apps.

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
i am writing this on my windows 7 RC virtual machine. i would have to say i am impressed. Our work still uses Xp and downgrades all the machines from vista so this is my first interaction with this new style of OS and i have to say that i am really impressed and it makes my xp box look as outdated as it really is

windywoo

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
I'll be honest with you. I have Leopard and Windows 7 on my 13" MBP. But Windows 7 is just a big yawn to me. It's the same old Microsoft clutter, registry, apps spread all over the place. Sorry but I don't feel the excitment.

Typical idiot Mac fan, talking as if the registry gives an error every other minute, and the applications aren't all on the Start Menu. And as if you can't rearrange the start menu, or make shortcuts. As if 90% of all your work didn't revolve around 4 or 5 programs.

aquadisiac

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2009
US
Does one need a minimum of 2GB RAm like vista to run windows 7? and where are you guys buying it from?

windywoo

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
Windows 7 ran quite well on my Macbook with 1GB of RAM although I admit I didn't do anything more ambitious than web surfing. Vista ran very slowly on the same Macbook, so the system requirements have certainly lessened.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I hated Windows because it's Windows. And now I hate it even more because once again, Microsoft fails to use their own ideas, ripping off Mac OS X counterparts like the Dock. But yes, it's an improvement over Vista, but anything is.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
What about the prompts? Does 7 ask all those stupid questions like every previous version did? I hated that about Windows!

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
I like that Microsoft is starting to learn their lesson in some areas, then reverting in others.

Tell me why I would pay good money for a KDE 4.X clone?

That doesn't excuse Apple either, I'm sure Steve Jobs is becoming ashamed because of Apple Inc's recent events. You know, unless he already sold his soul.

They both have such great programmers making the software. Too bad the higher ups ruin the image.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I've played with the Windows 7 RC1 Professional edition and I'm impressed--it is VERY stable and in many ways faster than Windows Vista Home Premium (SP2) (mostly because MS highly-optimized the code for x86 machines, what with MS wanting it to run on netbooks with 2 GB of RAM).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I played with win7 during the beta and while it certainly was better then Vista I'm still a bit unimpressed. I'm not sure if I'll plunk down the cash for it. I've been able to use Ubuntu for all of my needs that windows would have been used for.

I typically only use windows for connecting to my company via vpn and managing servers. I can do all of that just as easy in Ubuntu. In fact much easier since I have no virus issues to worry about and all of the connectivity is already there.

Then there's that windows advantage and activation stuff I don't have worry about either. When I'm not in OSX, I'll be logged into Ubuntu and I've not missed windows yet.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Typical idiot Mac fan, talking as if the registry gives an error every other minute, and the applications aren't all on the Start Menu. And as if you can't rearrange the start menu, or make shortcuts. As if 90% of all your work didn't revolve around 4 or 5 programs.
You come to a Mac fan site and criticize the members for being Mac fans? Talk about picking low-hanging fruit!

That said, the standard should not be that the Registry becomes corrupted less. It should not become corrupted ever. However, the Registry is a bad concept. It can't be perfected. Idiot Windows fans accept its flaws.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
What about the prompts? Does 7 ask all those stupid questions like every previous version did? I hated that about Windows!

It's called "User Account Control" UAC, you can disable it in the account preferences in the control panel. (Have to reboot)

EDIT: That's in Vista, in Windows 7 you can toggle the amount of messages it bugs you with, or you can turn it off completely, still requires a reboot.

May as well throw this in, yesterday was my 2nd day of using Windows 7, I'm really liking it so far. I installed Open Office, bunch of freebie apps, and it really does the job. I used to be a hardcore Apple fan, but I realized that there are other OS's out there that can do the same thing. I still love Apple, no doubt, but I must give Microsoft serious credit for this one.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts

Nope, I'm hardly an idiot Mac fan. In fact OSX is the last in a long line of OSes that I've cut my teeth on.

The first couple were Tops10, Tops20, VMS...

Windows 7 like all the Windows machines the stuff is lying all over the place. It's cluttered and messy. I gave Windows 7 a spin and I found it boring. Sorry to have upset you.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
You come to a Mac fan site and criticize the members for being Mac fans? Talk about picking low-hanging fruit!

That said, the standard should not be that the Registry becomes corrupted less. It should not become corrupted ever. However, the Registry is a bad concept. It can't be perfected. Idiot Windows fans accept its flaws.

The registry, from my experience, can become just as corrupted as .plist files can on OS X. Otherwise, Microsoft has really fixed all of the registry errors of the Win 9x days.

and back on topic... I really like OS X. So much so that I'll be letting my girlfriend use my MBP and getting myself a spiffy little Dell Mini 12 to use. (yes, my needs have changed dramatically in the 2 years I've owned my MBP :p )

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Nope, I'm hardly an idiot Mac fan. In fact OSX is the last in a long line of OSes that I've cut my teeth on.

The first couple were Tops10, Tops20, VMS...

Windows 7 like all the Windows machines the stuff is lying all over the place. It's cluttered and messy. I gave Windows 7 a spin and I found it boring. Sorry to have upset you.

TOPS-10. Never used it myself, but my last employer still had user identification from when it related to it.

I have to say OS X does the same thing as Windows regarding design updates. The OS X dock and overall user interface has remained the same for quite some time now too. They have added features for sure, but the same UI design remains the same.

I'm not sure what's cluttered and messy about Windows in general. I'm able to find things I need quickly, and never hear anyone mention cluttered or messy except at this site.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
The registry, from my experience, can become just as corrupted as .plist files can on OS X. Otherwise, Microsoft has really fixed all of the registry errors of the Win 9x days.

Similar, but not the same. If I install 100 apps, then I could potentially have 100 plist files laying around after uninstalling.

The problem with the registry is that it's a one stop shop. A corrupt registry impacts the entire system and other apps. A corrupt pfile impacts only one application.

You don't see that global effect with individual configuration/preferences files. That's why Unix or Unix-based systems are more stable over time.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I hated Windows because it's Windows. And now I hate it even more because once again, Microsoft fails to use their own ideas, ripping off Mac OS X counterparts like the Dock. But yes, it's an improvement over Vista, but anything is.

Yeah, I hated that dock like thing in OS/2 too :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.