impressions after 3 days

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jqc, Apr 27, 2015.

1. jqc, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015

jqc macrumors regular

got package Friday evening, fiddled around with it on weekend, and had first full work day today, a few quick thoughts, I have the 42mm white sport:

-not as convenient for quick interactions as i thought: whereas you can truly use your phone one handed (I use a 6) -from taking out of pocket, glancing at the screen, replying if need be, its not so with the watch. With the watch, if you want to interact with it, you're using two hands, one to hold up the watch and one to use it. I live in NYC and do a lot of walking, and this becomes less convenient than a phone in your pocket if you're carrying something with one hand, like a bag. Ive worn it under a light jacket over the weekend and with a business suit today; having to roll up sleeves to look at it was a bit of a hassle.

-haptic - I find it pretty weak. If sitting there, you can feel it but I find just barely, and this is on the stronger setting without "prominent" haptic setting turned on. If Im moving around, I find I typically miss it. Its better with prominent but I feel like this should be the default setting with the ability to set even stronger if desired. I really liked the idea of no audio notification and just getting that tap, I wish we had more control over the intensity

-screen response - i don't find the screen that responsive, especially relative to iPhone/ipad, many times, especially when walking where the tap might not be so precise, i find i need to tap multiple times to register. Same goes for force touch

-battery - so far pretty good. right now at 14 hours and 28% left. thats with 2 half hour outdoor walk exercises, tons of email notifications (50+ throughout the day because of work); this mirrors my experience on Sat and Sun, maybe slightly less but I don't tend to get a lot of emails on weekends.

-digital crown - i naturally try to press it with my opposite finger only, and find its harder to do because you're also pushing the whole watch, which is to say, you have to put your thumb on the other side to be able to counteract the force of your pushing finger. not a major deal but something i noticed as having to hold the watch with your thumb and forefinger didn't seem natural and was downright inconvenient when the watch is peaking out from under a jacket sleeve or shirt cuff.

-speaking of emails - i was a little overwhelmed with all the email notifications throughout the work day; it was overwhelming to be honest; I can see how this would be helpful when I am on the road, but today I was in the office. Will have to figure out whats right for me, maybe just VIPs, but then have to set up a reasonably extensive VIP list which is a pain

-more emails - the default reply color of emails tends to be blue, and when you get a reply email, the dark blue text is almost unreadable against the dark background, especially in daylight; this is something thats pretty annoying

-even more emails - if you open and read an email, you have to scroll all the way to the bottom to get to the mark as unread, trash, flag options. problem is, if you get an email that has a long chain, which I do a lot, thats a lot of scrolling!!! there doesn't seem to be a force touch option

siri - find siri slow much of the time, although if you wait long enough it tends to work; the problem is, if you're in a noisy area, it tends to keep listening for quite a while after you've finished talking. although it does a pretty good job of not picking up background conversations, what would be better is the mic button on the iOS keyboard where you hold it for as long as you're talking and then release when you're done, so theres no ambiguity

siri for replying to txts, etc - i understand why this is necessary as opposed to a keyboard, but i feel really dumb doing it in public; maybe when more people have em it won't feel as strange - i feel especially dumb when I'm holding up my watch waiting for siri to work as described above

-UI - maybe I'm just an idiot but I don't find the OS that intuitive, whereas Ive had no problems with iOS. quick example, it took me awhile to realize that to get back to the watch face, which i think of as the "home screen", you need up to 3 interactions! first to get out of an app, second to center the watch app on the real home screen, then click on the app. Also, you can swipe up/down for notifications and glances unless you're in the watch face, another reason i intuitively thought of it as the true "home screen"

- charger - i got the impression from the keynote that that the charger would snap on and hold on tight like a magsafe, i find my connection very weak. it could be an issue for all these stand prototypes I've seen, many of which, given the angle, seem to anticipate relying on the "magnetic" connection to keep the watch in place.

I still like the watch overall and will likely keep, but I don't "love" it. Im lucky enough that the cost is not a big expenditure for me, if it was, I would likely consider returning it much harder. Its a gen 1 product, I get that. I had the first iPhone and iPad, but those were products that much easier to "love" right away even with their obvious shortcomings. As Apple refines it over time and dev really learn to take advantage of it, Im sure it will all work out, just like iPhone and iPad did.

2. izzle22, Apr 27, 2015

izzle22 macrumors 6502a

izzle22

Pretty good assessment and I feel the same as you do on most of these items. Like you I still like the watch a lot but don't love it yet. I am looking forward to future software updates and even more to the version 2 hardware down the road.

3. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Thanks for the review. Very interesting.

Regarding notifications, I thought that you can simply raise your wrist to see a notification, read it, then put your arm down to dismiss it? It would seem that this interaction requires only one arm, and can be done while holding a bag.

4. jqc thread starter macrumors regular

you can, but I don't think it dismisses (i.e., it still shows on your notification list if you pull it down).

I mentioned this in another post but I also found the activation by raising to wrist way to sensitive, and often it would take a slight twitch to activate, which meant it activated a lot when i didn't want it to. I understand this would be very hard to get right, but i worried it would suck battery life. So far though, battery life with it on seems acceptable.

5. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

I find it more discrete to just take out the phone and type, then dictate to Siri, both at work and in public...

6. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

I turned off email notifications back on my iphone 3GS. I get over 200 emails a day. I don't care to know when new ones come in.

I agree, Siri could be better. It seems lean and I dont like that I cant hear her responses.

7. matrix07, Apr 27, 2015

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I think of all the complaints this is the one I can't believe Apple miss. They designed iPhone to use with one hand after all. it's genius! it's so forward thinking. Now why don't they do the same with Watch? it's a bit fail to have to use another hand to receive a call or send message after you dictated. Luckily this thing can be fixed by software update and I hope Apple do it as quick as they can.
    Don't have a Watch yet but I'm looking forward to it.

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I got my Apple Watch (A space Grey Sport 42mm) back on Friday, which was also launch day. As you can imagine I was and still am extremely excited about it. I have done some heavy testing on it as well as used it heavily over these past few days.

The watch faces. There are tons of them. And most are customizable quite a bit! And of course these were watch faces I have been looking at sense last September, when the watch was announced but sense I had no idea which watch face I liked I decided to just wait for the watch and choose then. I was changing the watch face about every five minutes. It took me about 3-4 hours to really feel like I had found my watch face. The name of the face is "Utility". This face allows for three complications, which I found to be perfect for what I wanted. It also. But before we get to the complications lets talk about the watch face. I liked this watch face because it was clean and simple. Just a traditional clock and nothing else. Now that can be changed for this watch face with customization's. You can take way the hour numbers or add minute numbers ect. But this is the how I thought it looked best. I also have it showing the date which I like. The complications are what really make watch faces more helpful then time telling time though. The three I am using are battery, activity, and weather. When tapping on one of these it takes you to the corresponding app (excluding battery as it does not have an app). The weather complication which I have at the bottom of the watch face is great. I always know what the weather is going to be like with that down there. My favorite complication is the activity one though. It really keeps you motivated to do some activity which I have been doing much more of. So seeing my activity rings right from the watch face is great.

[​IMG]

Notifications on Apple Watch are fantastic. It basically just takes all the notifications you get and puts it in the place most convenient at a given time. For example, if I get a text and I'm using my phone the text comes to my phone but never hits my watch. If I'm not using my phone or iPad the notification goes to the watch, as well as show up on the phone if I want to act on it there. Also haptic's from the Taptic engine feel great! They feel nothing like a vibrate at all. It's legit like the watch is just tapping on you. Very subtle but still noticeable.

I have also found glances on Apple Watch to be extremely nice to have. Like the other day I was trying to pay attention to the Islanders vs. Capitals play off game. I wasn't home so I couldn't watch the game, but lifting my wrists and just a simple swipe up was all that was required for me to stay on top of the game thanks too the ESPN Glance. There are also many others such as weather, activity, heart rate, world clock, now playing and more.

Third party apps. There's not to much to say about third party apps because they aren't many I can find that look worthy of downloading. But that's alright the watch did launch three days ago. I think once the developers get their hands on the watches we'll really see some more actually helpful/cool third party apps. That being said some of the current third party apps are awesome... As well as some suck really bad. The three third party apps I think are really cool and actually worth my time are the ESPN app, Trivia Crack, and USA Today.

The workout app is probably my favorite part of Apple Watch. It is just fantastic. I have used it for outdoor cycling 3 times now and I just love everything about. I love being able to track my workout and see things such as my pulse, calories burned, distance, and speed! I also just love the animations in the workout app. As I swipe from one thing to another there is a really nice and clean animation. For example If I'm on distance and I swipe right to see the next one over it says "Speed" I large letters then is just shrinks away as the number comes up. I just really love that animation.

These are my first impressions of the Apple Watch! Over all I think its a really amazing device and definitely worth the $400 I paid for it.

9. Sphyrna macrumors regular

That's how I thought it was as well. But it doesn't actually dismiss the notification. It will still show up in the notifications if you swipe down from the top.

10. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

This I 100% agree with. If there are links or something in the email it is a ton of scrolling to get to the bottom. I also found myself force touching the notification to try and avoid having to scroll all the way to the bottom.

11. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

My 38mm sport came today, so I haven't really had a chance to test it out fully. I agree with those who say it's not very intuitive.

It took me a while to get a handle on how to change watch faces. The default screen has the calendar app in the middle. To change faces, you press and hold the middle. If you don't hold it down long enough, the calendar opens.

I'm not happy to read about the runners who have tested it and found that even using the phone's GPS, it was way off. You would think that since it is called 'sport,' it would at least get that right.

I'll try it out this week and, if necessary, go to Apple for a lesson.

12. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I think it won't dismiss if you only do short glance but will dismiss if you do long glance that show the detail of message.

13. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Steve Jobs was the taste of Apple. It was his will alone that drove Apple's focus on attention to detail. Without him we are seeing Apple fall into the same patterns companies such as Samsung and Google do.

14. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

Will have mine in a day or two

I'm thinking this thing is buggy as hell and they have a largish team working on it, carefully monitoring user feedback.

In other words, the Gen. 1 label, as scary at it is, doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be a a static experience.

At least I'm hoping, and frankly, it could probably go any which way.

15. JWorld127 macrumors 6502

JWorld127

Just sitting here waiting for the guy that has Borat avatar to come in here and post some stupid reply and tell you everything you said is wrong.

16. Ocean1286 macrumors newbie

I agree 100% with everything you said. Today was my first day at work with the watch and I was completely overwhelmed with email notifications. My wrist was constantly buzzing that i just turned off notifications until i could figure it out.

I wish the iOS mail app had the inbox like gmail and outlook apps where it filters what emails it thinks are important.

I do find the UI to be rather clunky and I still find myself pressing buttons trying to get myself to other screens and then end up in the wrong place. I wish you could assign the side button to either open your favorites list or take you back to the clock face.

I do agree with the charger and was pretty disappointed with how weak it holds onto the back of the watch. I have to make sure I lay the watch down a certain way or else it will become disconnected easily.

I accept that its a first generation product but I was hoping it would be a little further along given Apples success with the iPad and the iPhone. I opted for the sport which I'm happy with. I think if i spent more than $400 I would be disappointed.

Luckily - other than the charger - all the complaints appear to be with the software which Im sure Apple will update over time. Plus, developers haven't had the real opportunity to produce some great apps yet. We forget that when the first iPhone came out third party apps didn't even exist yet.

17. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I dont really agree with much of what the original poster wrote here. My thoughts....

1. AW is far more convenient for quick interactions than the iPhone. Part of the reason is I don't need to remove phone from pocket and unlock first.

2. I am kind of blown away by how accurate Siri is on this thing. Far more accurate than my iPhone. She is also very fast.

3. I really don't use Siri to respond to iMessages in public. Sometimes when Im at home I do. I mostly use the canned responses. If I need anything more detailed, I use my phone.

3. Took me all of about 10 minutes to figure out the UI. But then again, I read the User Guide.

4. Have no idea how anybody can have problems with Digital Crown. It feels absolutely perfect to me.

5. I spent a couple of minutes setting up my notifications to only send to my Watch what I consider most important. If I get a tap (and I love the haptic), I know its important enough to look.

18. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

Maybe.

But this isn't a sink or swim moment for Cook. Steve was measured by his successes as they started to add up, but there were a LOT of turkeys.

But 'I' will judge Apple with this watch. If it's God awful I will blame it on Cook, and hope the board replaces him. He is the decider now.

19. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Boards typically stay the course. It's more risk to replace him than keep him.

Until Apple's profit decline, which will take a long time with the growth of China (and possibly India), Cook will remain CEO.

20. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

It's better at home. Replying to texts, tweets, and answering the occasional call is great when you're at home alone, but too cumbersome in public.

Outside the house it's just good for time and glances. The messaging benefits die once you exit your front door. The canned responses may work for some people, but I have full blown conversations over text messages. I rarely respond with "ok".

21. jqc thread starter macrumors regular

For 1. I agree overall it's more convenient, my point was it wasn't as cove isn't as I thought it would be. This will also change when on the ski slopes or in the rain when I don't want to take my phone out and get it all wet

for 3. That's my point. In public, to respond on the phone kinda defeats the purpose bc you have to pull it out anyway. But like said, is feel less dumb responding on the street if Siri was quicker for me

For 5. That brings up a point I meant to make in original post but forgot: would be nice to be able to customize taps for different types of notifications (mail vs imessage alone would be huge) or person (wife vs everyone else) like you can do on an iPhone (custom vibration of sound) - I bet this comes in a future update but knowing apple, it could apple watch 8 before it happens!

22. Mac128guy macrumors member

23. 2macORnot2mac macrumors regular

2macORnot2mac

My review:
    1. It works great as a watch.
    2. Everything else is just gravy.

24. Fozziebear71 macrumors regular

Fozziebear71

This is exactly what I have been saying and thinking lately.

25. TeamHufflepuff macrumors newbie

Wouldn't covering up the screen with your hand dismiss the notification? I remember them mentioning this during the keynotes. You could do that with a bag in your hand, as it's not as difficult as pushing the crown. Or you could possibly even cover the screen by raising the watch to your chest or something, if you really had your hands full.