Impressions

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by NothingShocking, Sep 10, 2008.

1. NothingShocking macrumors newbie

I called the Apple Store one more time today before leaving work and surprise, they had just gotten them in. I swung on down to the store and asked the only free guy (very very old guy) if he could grab me one. He just looked at me confused and said they didn't have any. I explained I called in, he went to look, came back empty handed. He asked other employees and they all said no. I was a bit pissed since it's an hour round trip, so he went back to look one more time and found them. I spent over 30 minutes in the store.

I went home, popped it into my PC and it recognized it right away. I spent around 20 minutes going through my library and picking out songs to put on it. I got around 13gb of stuff copied over in that time, it was very fast. Synced up my photos folder and moved some movie files over too. Right now I have 15gb on my 32gb iTouch (yes, iTouch, bite me).

Loaded up a video and the speaker on the outside of the player works very nicely. It's not the greatest sound quality, but it gets the job done. If you are going to listen to music for awhile you'll want headphones, but if you're just showing a friend something or want to watch a movie the speaker will suffice.

The apps store, navigating the UI and setting everything up is really easy. Within an hour I had everything copied over and learned how to use most of the features. Very nifty device with great sound quality and clear picture. Surfing the internet is very fast too.

The back is the silver colored metal you see on all iPods. Yeah, it sucks. No cases were at the store yet too so I have to be very careful with it. It's more curved and easier to hold then the older iPods I looked at in the store while waiting.

Sorry this reads like a n00b review, this is my first iTouch (yes, iTouch, bite me). A bit pricey, but a great device. My last iPod (original 20gb one with the black and white UI) lasted almost 5 years, so shelling out a bit of cash isn't a big deal for something that should hopefully have a great lifespan and gets a lot of use.

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Nice :)

I'm thinking of selling my current 16 GB Touch 1G and buying new 32 GB... How loud is the speaker?

3. NothingShocking thread starter macrumors newbie

Plenty loud if you are by yourself or at a small gathering. If you are at a very noisy place it will probably get drowned out, but that's expected. I'm actually surprised at how nice the speaker is. I was expecting a tacked on piece of junk.

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

5. NothingShocking thread starter macrumors newbie

My camera battery is spent and needs charging, and I take bad pics anyways ;) It's just like the older one but with curved edges really.

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

That's sad. Its always good to see real-world pictures, instead of (super nice) 3D renderings on Apple's site.

But you said it fits hand better, so that good :) Does to lay flat on the table or is the whole back curved like on iMacs?

7. NothingShocking thread starter macrumors newbie

It lays flat perfectly. It doesn't rock back and forth or anything.

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

k, tx :)

9. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    it lays flat...

My first touch, love it...

Speaker is great for games/youtube type stuff, mediocre for music

(don't get me wrong, built in speaker was a BIG deal but there is room for improvement ;))

Overall, I'm :D

10. joshi3joshi macrumors regular

how does the new touch's speaker compare to the 1st generation iphone speakers? (when playing music)

11. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Did your ipod come with a plastic cover on the screen like the 1st gen?

12. ChristopheJD macrumors regular

I also want to know if the iPod is wrapped, and if you can still access the ports if it is. I plan on buying one, but I'm waiting for the InvisibleShield.

13. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Theres 1 unboxing video on youtube that doesnt look like it has any plastic but I think the guy had already opened it

14. ChristopheJD macrumors regular

All the unboxings I see show the iPod without any plastic on it. I have to say, I like the black box better. Everything seemed protected. Plus plastic boxes are so...not cool.

15. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Probably comprable? Not super impressive but works...

Didn't have a first gen, but no...

Not wrapped, just a sticker over the screen...

:)

16. ChristopheJD macrumors regular

Awwwwwww, Apple, no cookie for you.
    Thanks Dan for answering my question. I wish Apple had already given molds for the iPod Touch to third party companies before the release, so we'd have cases already!

17. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Not a problem my friend, I am extremely happy with my 2nd gen Touch...(but I did just upgrade from a 1st gen mini ;) :eek:)

18. ChristopheJD macrumors regular

There were a couple of occasions where I planned on buying an iPod, but put it off. I think a Touch would help me with school, as well as double as a great multimedia player. I plan on getting a 32GB, and waiting for the Zagg InvisibleShield to come out. I am too afraid to scratch the back. How is yours holding up? I thought of putting ceran wrap on the back, but thought it might be extreme. Or tape!

19. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Well, it's only been about 10 hours but it has been in about 2 dozen pairs of hands already... :D

Still flawless, but I put the generic cut out screen savers on BOTH sides... HAHAHAH :D

20. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Another question...

From the pics and QTVR on Apple's site it seems like the headphone jack is similarly "deepened" like on iPhone 1G. Or is it flush with the body, like iPhone 3G and Touch 1G?

21. ChristopheJD macrumors regular

Ahh, nice. Yeah, I'd order mine now, I'm just afraid of scratching it. Cause I know once I get it, it will be used a lot.

22. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Like I said, this was a big upgrade for me, never saw a iPhone 1G's headphone jack before...
    But on the Touch 2 it LOOKS deepened but the plug seems to fit snug... :confused:

Here's a pic (or 2)... :)

Attached Files:

23. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

k, tx for the pics :)

24. NothingShocking thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a small cloth pouch I'm going to keep mine in while carrying it around in my pocket. The front should be mostly scratch resistant. The back should be ok until cases come out, but I won't be too mad if I get a small scratch (they seem to just appear no matter what anyways :p ) since I will just be covering the back up with a solid case and won't see it.

25. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Where'd you get those at?