Impressive initial 4S benchmarks

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by asleep, Oct 11, 2011.

1. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Anandtech on iPhone 4S, "...very fast."

...and more recently we've seen the first performance results from Apple's first A5 based smartphone thanks to a few eager users around the web. We've compiled these results here from various sources ... and compared them to our existing database of tests.

Note the speed increases iOS5 adds to prior iPhone models!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

read more/charts explained here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4951/...rks-800mhz-a5-slightly-slower-gpu-than-ipad-2

2. kre62 macrumors 68000

3. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

4s is a super disappointing release. Apple didn't even do anything to improve it. They just threw an A6 in it. They're milking the market.

I'd be surprised if more than 100 people buy those pieces of junk.

;)

4. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

My iPhone has never even hiccuped with any of the currently available apps. I can't think of a single reason I would need it to be faster.

5. fjrabon macrumors regular

yeah, it's basically only bested by the iPad 2 and is pretty much a dead heat with the Galaxy TABLET (smokes the galaxy phone)

6. CHRONiC YOUTH macrumors member

These results look like there stacked to me.. I dont understand how the phone with some of the lowest hardware specs is literally beating every other phone in every test by at least 2x... even if ios 5 is a superior os, it still shouldnt account for nearly 100% increase in performance over some of these other phones should it?..

7. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

:rofl

8. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Only the raving, salivating fandroids are surprised by this. ;)

But, but the SGII has 400 more MHz and double the ram…:eek:

9. Acronym macrumors 68000

and yet the news reports that already a million people have preordered the iphone 4S, something must be wrong with those news stations purporting false facts...

10. yahoozy macrumors newbie

Wow.

I'm no geek, but that looks a lot faster!!!:apple:

11. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Apple has obviously paid them off. What else could explain such demand or good benchmark numbers. Its a conspiracy. We're on to you, Apple.

12. aztooh macrumors 6502a

As soon as another phone brings higher benchmarks, all of you will be saying that benchmarks don't matter.

13. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

That's a pretty bold statement. It's like saying "I'll never need more than 2 gigs of RAM."

From the iPhone 4S leaked videos I saw, it loads apps much faster than iPhone 4 (the app in particular was Safari).

14. CHRONiC YOUTH macrumors member

Yea so care to explain? You haven't even offered an explanation just proved that you are a defensive nerd?? I'm literally looking for an explanation here.. if you are intelligent enough to elaborate on the subject

15. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Na, I will happily concede. It is just fun to poke fun since specs are the primary basis from which trolls and flamers pull from when bashing Apple products.

I don't personally believe in the whole spec war situation, but it is definitely a "don't dish it out if you can't take it" scenario.

16. kre62 macrumors 68000

Its the difference between integrated hardware and software. Android is unoptomized, software rendering code. If you know anything about performance, you know that software rendering takes exponentially more computing power then hardware rendering. Android still does not hardware render, or have the ability to tap into the GPU for performance improvements.

Also, Android can not fully utilize the second core of a dual core processor. It makes only mild improvements.

Android takes brute force to accomplish what the iPhone does in hardware. Thats why all the specs in the world can't match an integrated , hardware accelerated platform.

Heres some more reading:
    http://www.phonedog.com/2011/07/03/...mpete-with-the-iphone-on-a-performance-level/

17. CHRONiC YOUTH macrumors member

cheers!

18. aztooh macrumors 6502a

+1 to that

19. ctbear macrumors 6502a

That's very true. Hopefully the Prime (ICS) will greatly improve Android experience in that regard.

20. asleep thread starter macrumors 68040

asleep

I wasn't really expecting an upgrade on the magnitude of the 3G to 3GS, which was huge, but this looking similar, no?

21. Captainobvvious macrumors 6502

The comments from that link make me laugh.

Android fanboys complaining that its biased because:

1) It doesn't account for Ice Cream Sandwich

2) Doesn't include the Nexus Prime

3) Doesn't include every 3rd party browser Android can run just the stock browser.

It is laughable how they rush to defend their devices with nonsense. They would all be fair complaints if ICS was actually AVAILABLE or that the Nexus was EVEN ANNOUNCED!

We are comparing an OS and a phone that is IN HAND to other devices and OS's that are available... How can they possibly think the comparison should be with phones and operating systems that aren't available yet.

Even ICS... Its going to be nice for the Prime as they will actually GET the OS update.. Other current phones like the S II will likely wait 6+ months after release to get ICS.

Its like saying "Hey this is unfair because the 4S should be compared to a phone coming out next summer!"

Ridiculous.

It looks like the 4S is likely the fastest smartphone in the world. By a healthy margin too.

----------

I also find it funny that people are clamoring for quad core 3ghz processors for their phone.

They will load apps and whatnot and say "HAHA its faster than the 4S" when it loaded whatever it was loading faster by like 1/8 of a second. Sure its can't be seen by the naked eye but mine is faster!!!

Wooooo!!!!

Of course the battery lasts for 2 hours and it gets too hot to hold without gloves and has to have a fan... (sarcasm) but its got a nice spec sheet.

22. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I think so too. Nearly everything on the 4S is improved over the 4.

23. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

This is amazing. To me this is a big improvement even on the IPhone 4. Calling out the Android fans on specs doesn't really concern me but it shows that optimisation is key in putting down the power even when the chip is underclocked.

24. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

I couldn't care LESS how it performs in relation to Andorid of Windows Phone 7 devices... they're totally different operating platforms.

How it performs in relation to the past generation iPhones is all I care about.

And, from that, it does quite well. Without doubt.