Impressive...

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
12,107
75
Solon, OH
To be honest, I was quite impressed when the power level dipped sharply lower for about half a second, then returned to normal, and my little iMac G4 just kept chugging along (iTunes was playing, Safari browsing, Mail checking for messages) as if nothing had happened.

The same can't be said of my Windows PC though...the lack of power caused it to spontaneously reboot.
 

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
1,830
0
wrldwzrd89 said:
To be honest, I was quite impressed when the power level dipped sharply lower for about half a second, then returned to normal, and my little iMac G4 just kept chugging along (iTunes was playing, Safari browsing, Mail checking for messages) as if nothing had happened.

The same can't be said of my Windows PC though...the lack of power caused it to spontaneously reboot.
Yeah, Macs have a Power Managment Unit (PMU) in them, while PCs I don't believe have this same type of part in them. So when power goes low, the Mac could ajust but the PC couldn't. It would have also been because if you are using a power strip, and the Mac is closer to the wall plug on the strip. It could have hogged all the power. But yeah, my mac has usually survived a brown out while my PC has gone down. Plus, if its a black out, once the power comes back on, the Mac boots right back up, were as the PC doesn't.
 

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
12,107
75
Solon, OH
varmit said:
Yeah, Macs have a Power Managment Unit (PMU) in them, while PCs I don't believe have this same type of part in them. So when power goes low, the Mac could ajust but the PC couldn't. It would have also been because if you are using a power strip, and the Mac is closer to the wall plug on the strip. It could have hogged all the power. But yeah, my mac has usually survived a brown out while my PC has gone down. Plus, if its a black out, once the power comes back on, the Mac boots right back up, were as the PC doesn't.
Both are connected to a surge protector/power strip, and neither is connected to a UPS...this suggests that the PMU in the Mac made it able to cope with the brief drop in power, like you posted. I didn't realize that the PMU could do that.
 

Kreamy

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2005
92
0
wrldwzrd89 said:
Both are connected to a surge protector/power strip, and neither is connected to a UPS...this suggests that the PMU in the Mac made it able to cope with the brief drop in power, like you posted. I didn't realize that the PMU could do that.
ALL computers have PMUs. If PCs didnt then vital chips would be fried and voltages would not have been adjustable. If anything PCs are more stable than mac's when it comes to power dips/surges especially with new technologies like dual power control systems etc (especially gigabyte!)

your PC was probably before the mac in the circuit.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.