Imprint "paint" on Space Black

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by stanft, Mar 17, 2017.

1. stanft macrumors member

Hi everyone,

does anybody know how the imprint on the back of the Space Black Apple Watch is made? Yesterday, I have noticed that one of the dots has a much lighter color than the rest of the imprint. So I am questioning myself if this is just some paint that has chipped or if the DLC coating is damaged inside the imprint.

Best regards,
    Stephan
    --- Post Merged, Mar 17, 2017 ---
    I've just added a photo...

Attached Files:

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's engraved then coated then polished. Your coating has come off looking at that.

3. Relentless Power, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Based off your picure, it doesn't appear your Apple Watch is the black stainless, that is the regular stainless model, which doesn't have the diamond like coating. It could be a defect from the manufacture, being that specific that area is small and also that's a rare area for the Apple Watch to suffer any physical damage, being it would be on your wrist.

4. stanft thread starter macrumors member

No, it's definitely the Space Black. Maybe due to the lighting it may not appear black because of the shiny surface.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 17, 2017 ---
    That's not so good. If this remains a local damage I should be no problem but I am fearing that this damage may lead to ongoing chipping of the coating because now there is a "hole" in the coating and it is no longer a sealed surface.

5. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

That makes sense. Probably the reflection from the flash or light that makes it look like the regular stainless model. Aside from the physical defect you noted, depending how long you've had it, you could return it for a new one. Otherwise, you be looking at a warranty replacement.

6. stanft thread starter macrumors member

My thought was always that cosmetic damage is not covered by warranty. And in this case, the cosmetic damage is rather small. My only fear is that this hole in the coating results in future problems with ongoing damage of the coating.

And exchanging the watch would result in a refurbished model, or? So I don't know what other problems the replacement might have.

I have the watch since the beginning of January.

7. Relentless Power, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

A refurbished watch is essentially A "New" device, which Apple may replace for you. Also, cosmetic damage is not covered as you stated. But if Apple determines that's a manufacture defect, then perhaps you would be looking at a warranty replacement. And it's hard to say if that situation will get worse or not. I would make an appointment with Apple and have them look at it. And see if they determine it will be a further issue or any other options you may have.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Seen pictures where it is much worst. Just some cosmetic damage. I would not risk returning for a refurb.

9. stanft thread starter macrumors member

Also on a Space Black? I have seen a lot of pictures for the Space Gray as the anodized aluminum painting is chipping very easily. But I have not seen this on the DLC Space Black by myself...

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I believe you are right. After searching it looks like it was the aluminum model.

Still, are you willing to chance trading watches for that?

11. stanft thread starter macrumors member

That's exactly my problem. If the damage just stays as it is today I have no problem with the chipped coating. But I am fearing that it's getting worse.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Agreed, since we are talking about the BACK of the :apple:Watch. The OP should probably be more concerned with their iPhone (camera).:eek::D

13. stanft thread starter macrumors member

What's wrong with my camera? If you mean focus I should probably be even more concerned with my hand movements... ;)

14. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Sorry but it was not hand movement. Focus locked on the background instead of the back of the watch.

15. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

you could just keep a very close eye on it for a month or two. if Apple would cover this damage (assuming that's what it is) today, they'll cover it a couple of months from now. I imagine this type of thing could result from any number of different issues during the manufacturing process. Again, hard to tell if there's an actual problem here. Would be better if you could see it under a loupe to check for jagged edges where it might be prone to peeling off further. But I'd just keep an eye on it. It would be different if you were within your first days of purchase and could simply return it for a new one. Do you have AppleCare+? If not, I would consider adding it. But give where this is on the watch, I wouldn't expect anything to change much over time. But can't say for sure obviously.

16. stanft thread starter macrumors member

I already bought AppleCare+ so I would follow your advice to give it some weeks and see if the problem gets worse.

17. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

My opinion, is even if you brought this to Apple and have them look at it, I think they would tell you that there's not much they would do with it and it's likely not that big of a concern. If it was something that was larger or spreading if you will, then it would be a different story. But in your case, I really don't for see this expanding beyond what you found, which is Appears very minimal.

18. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502

OriginalAppleGuy

WOW - I just looked at the back of my Silver SS and that dot is freaking microscopic. I had to pull out the magnifier along with my reading glasses just to see it. SMH.