Improve gaming experience

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NewGuyHere, Mar 31, 2012.

1. NewGuyHere macrumors regular

Hey guys its me again, and I was wondering how to make gaming on my macbook pro 13" i5 4gb ram run games better, I am getting a samsung ssd in the future, and I will want to play some games, like team fortress 2 and left for dead 2. What will I need to get to play them well with good graphics? Thanks.

2. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

besides a new laptop with better graphics? nothing.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

a custom gaming desktop, or at least a laptop with a real graphics card

4. NewGuyHere thread starter macrumors regular

5. Trentolol macrumors member

Trentolol

Soon, you will be able to buy an external Thunderbolt Graphics Card...

6. minnus macrumors 6502

7. NewGuyHere thread starter macrumors regular

Wow this is great too! Also saves me from messiing with teh internals of this machine. Thanks, look forward to getting it!

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You won't be able to mess with the internals anyways. You cannot upgrade the CPU or GPU from your system.

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

More RAM could be a help. Team Fortress 2 runs just fine on my 2009 13" MBP, so you should be fine. Other than RAM, wait for external GPUs (if they're supported). Your MBP has an integrated GPU, so it's not very good for gaming to begin with. If you want to do some real gaming, you'll need a different computer or an external GPU.

10. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

I don't see how an external Thunderbolt graphics card is a feasible option. The price of one of those things will be close to $1000. For that money you might as well buy a better laptop, such as a 15" MacBook Pro which actually has a GPU.

11. T1ckT0ck macrumors newbie

If you upgrade you 13" to 8GB of RAM your Integrated Graphics will go from 384MB of VRAM to 512MB of VRAM.

12. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Your computer can definitively play tf2. It worked on my 2008 macbook. Graphics weren't too goo though. There are tweaks for tf2 mainly http://clugu.com/tf2mate/ that will allow you to have even ******** graphics in order to get better FPS. Sure shinny hats are nice at first but having decent fps helps you get frags. Though there are intermediate settings that give you decent eye candy but still give you a better frame rate. Also, quite a few people find that running games in bootcamp improves the fps (I haven't tried it, and I'm not sure if it's because they over clock the cpu/gpu).

13. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Not really VRAM, it's just shared memory, but Yeah.

14. aCondor macrumors 6502

Apple is not a gaming computer. The "Thunderbolt" option will cost more than a new custom PC.

Your choices are:
    • Stop Playing Games
    • Deal with Low Frame-rate
    • Purchase a Gaming PC

That is all.

15. captainvera macrumors newbie

Im sorry to disappoint everyone who has been telling him the Egpu's won't work or that they are too expensive... I talked with a MSI representative and the MSI GUS II (which is only an adapter in which you put a gpu ( bought separately)) will cost around 150$ and will come out next week :D this means that people with mbp's will finnaly be able to enjoy some high quality gaming ( and no, a mbp fully upgraded doesn't deliver high quality gaming, i have one and while its good, its not awesome).

And all this will go for about 250$/350$ depending on what gpu you want to put in there...

16. aCondor macrumors 6502

Not sure if I should be happy my MBP while be able to have upgraded GPU...

... or disappointed that I will spend >$1500 on an average laptop.

I wish I won MegaMillions this weekend. Then this wouldn't really be an issue.

17. T1ckT0ck macrumors newbie

The machines still uses the shared memory as Video RAM so yeah. Discrete or Shared it is a true statement.

18. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

If the 13" could take faster ram, then you could slightly improve performance as well.

19. ArmouredGuitar macrumors member

That sounds interesting, is there any info hanging around you could link me? I have a late 2011 mbp 15" and I hate playing any intensive games on it due to the gpu temp hovering around the 90c mark right under the wsad keys.....