improve retina display?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lsvtecjohn3, Jan 6, 2011.

1. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Everyone agree that the retina display is great for reading text on but watching videos or looking at pictures it's not the best display out on the market. Colors just don't pop out.

Samsung has that with their super amoled. I was wondering if Apple could come up with a mixer of the retina display and say the super amoled but using Apple own technology. Is that even possible to have super fine text with great vivid colors?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Yes it is possible to have crisp text and have colors pop. I don't think there is much Apple technology in the retina display, some other company makes the displays.

By the way, why would you want Apple technology in your display if there are markedly better options? Why the arbitrary requirement of Apple tech?

3. lsvtecjohn3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I use my iP4 more for reading on it than watching videos so to me it has the best display. I didn't know if it's Apples technology or not in the retina display, but when I do look at videos I would like the colors to look better if they can.

I'm sure Apple wouldn't want Samsung super amoled, knowing Apple they would want something better or slightly different.

4. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

The Apple "Retina Display" screens are typical LCDs with high density pixel counts manufactured by companies like LG and Toshiba.

with some people noticing that some screens have a blue tint and others have a yellow tint, it is likely that both company plants are being used to manufacture these screens.

5. kre62 macrumors 68000

The "Retina" display is just a plain jane IPS LCD panel, tech thats been around for 13+ years. The only reason it's"Retina" is because of it's high resolution.

Samsung could simply produce a super amoled display at a 960x640 resolution, and it would be magically a "retina" display.

6. lsvtecjohn3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Samsung could do that but I'm not asking if Samsung could improve their displays, I'm askin could Apple improve the retina display. Samsung super amoled has great colors and I hope Apple can match or better those displays while keeping the retina looking sharp.

7. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

But apple doesn't make the display, toshiba, lg, and think even samsung do. Those htc phones with super amoled displays, those screens are made by samsung. If apple wanted super amoled display on the iPhone, all they need to do is call samsung up and order them, just like they call samsung up to get the flash memory that's used in the iPhone. The fact that they haven't means either that apple feels ips LCD is better for one reason or another, or they couldn't get the price they wanted on the super amoled displays.

8. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Actually, there was a shortage of AMOLED, OLED, and Super AMOLED displays last year. Many phone manufacturers had to switch (notable HTC with the NexusOne) the types of displays they were using in their devices because Samsung only had 1 factory online and were keeping most of the screens for their own devices (note that they sold ~10 million Galaxy S devices last year)

Their second factory is supposed to be up and running now. This was probably a key factor in Apple's decision to go with IPS (that and lower power consumption).

9. Infraggable Kru macrumors regular

AOLED is superior at the same resolution

LCD technology is cheaper and has the highest dpi display currently out in the market

you can't have both, but as technology gets better who knows maybe the next iPhone will have aoled

10. docprego macrumors 65816

Owning an EVO for the last 6 months and then playing with the iPhone 4 I can tell you that the iPhone screen is vastly better in every way. I don't like the way AMOLED screens look, they are grainy to me but the colors are great. The Retina display is the best of both worlds, the colors are vibrant and the sharpness is incomparable.

11. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

Since we seem to get at least one of these threads EVERY DAY, I vote that this thread here be stickied: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1076334

The iPhone 4 has much more accurate colors than Samsung's SAMOLED/OLED pentile matrix displays. If you want fake, "gaudy," and unrealistic colors that pop out your eyeballs, then get SAMOLED. Just don't expect sharp text or clear imagery.

I agree with DisplayMate's assessment of the iP4's Retina Display: for improvement, Apple should raise the color gamut to 97% like the Droid/Milestone/Droid 2/Droid 2 Global and lower black levels a bit.

OLED is a superior technology on paper, but Samsung's usage of pentile matrix has ruined the Galaxy S screens, which are NOT true 480x800.

12. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

An OLED screen with full RGB subpixels, 97-100% color gamut, and true 24-bit color would be the greatest, but it will be very expensive. I've read that Samsung's upcoming 4.5-inch Android MIGHT be full RGB, so it COULD be the clear champion when it's released.

http://www.mobiletechworld.com/2011...-super-amoled-plus-4-5-inch-display-unveiled/

13. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

I'm also coming from an EVO and the iPhone 4 screen is much better. Colors and text.

14. docprego macrumors 65816

Since I am about to switch from the EVO to the iPhone 4, does the decrease in screen size affect you? Is it very noticeable or something that will be forgotten a few days after switching?

15. bid2ask77 macrumors regular

bid2ask77

Everyone is forgetting its a phone Its not a new HD TV!!!!!!

16. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

OLED has shortcomings as well. Colors fade over time.

Exactly, you look at your phone much more often and it's closer to your eyes.

17. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

The "popping" colors of amoled screens are way too saturated for my tastes. It looks too artificial.

18. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

i just compared my new iPhone 4 with my previous phone a Samsung i8910 HD with an AMOLED screen, and there is no difference in the saturation, but the AMOLED does have slightly better blacks, apart from that the iPhone 4 screen looks basically the same...

19. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

You need to look at the Super AMOLED screens. You will certainly notice a difference. Try a Captivate/Vibrant/Epic/Fascinate or the new Nexus S

20. Infraggable Kru macrumors regular

I want that :)

btw colors fade over time... who keeps their iphone long enough to even notice this

21. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

True, so long as the diodes last at least 11,520 hours (which is 8 hours/day for 4 years), I could care less what happens to the colors after that! How many people have logged anywhere near 10,000 hours of screen time on their first generation iPhones?

22. THE dAY macrumors 6502

Regarding original topic, the retina display can be improved with better optimization/calibration per displaymate.com.

In displaymate's comparison of top smartphone displays they mention:

"All of these “Super” displays can be significantly improved and optimized on many different levels. This article is a lite version of our intensive scientific analysis of smartphone and mobile displays – before the benefits of our advanced mathematical DisplayMate Display Optimization Technology, which can correct or improve many of the deficiencies – including higher calibrated brightness, power efficiency, effective screen contrast, picture quality and color and gray scale accuracy under both bright and dim ambient light, and much more. If you are a display or product manufacturer and want our expertise and technology to turn your display into a spectacular one to surpass your competition then Contact DisplayMate Technologies to learn more."

23. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

To the former EVO owners - that phone does not use AMOLED. It uses a mediocre quality LCD screen about on par with the original iPhone screen.

24. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

The EVO's screen isn't spectacular, but it's still much better than the old iPhone's, at least in resolution, contrast, and black levels.

25. Tarzanman macrumors 65816