Improved Camera On the iPhone 3G (pictures)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Jul 15, 2008.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

CNet says that Apple improved the camera on the iPhone 3G, and judging by my own use and putting both camera side-by-side, they're definitely right. Why would Apple include a bigger lenses for nothing? Here's a comparison from CNet:

First iPhone:
    [​IMG]

iPhone 3G:
    [​IMG]

When I compared them myself, I got the same result. Clearer, more vivid pictures with less noise on the iPhone 3G. They both have great cameras, but it's nice to know that Apple improved everything on the iPhone 3G. Another nice thing is that the clearer camera means that you can zoom in a bit more on the iPhone 3G without the image starting to look worse.

2. meko macrumors newbie

Apple could of provided us a better camera, lens, etc., but chose not to. It's a cheap upgrade to provide us more megapixels, but I'm sure they're "holding off" so they can promote those improved features in the 4G.

I bet 4G will have an improved: camera, zoom, video, etc.

Come on, my Blackberry Curve had 3X zoom. The camera still sucked though.

3. tritonj macrumors 6502a

the 4G network isn't coming out anytime soon, not sure what you are referring to, the next iPhone will be 3.0, since this one is 2.0

4. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

yeah please don't refer to the next version of iPhone as 4G. Apple just finished rolling out the 3G network and they aren't near done with that. Who knows how Apple will market the next iPhone version but it won't be 4G.

5. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

6. techage14 macrumors regular

techage14

First off, we don't really know what the successor to the iPhone 3G will be called. Although, I myself have been confused what they will call it.

And second, Apple CAN provide us with video functionality with a simple firmware update but, for whatever reason, they don't want to.:(

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Some iPhone team guy from Apple said, regarding cut and paste, that it was on a list of priorities but they hadn't got to it yet. A better camera is probably part of that.

Seriously, the non-subsidized phone is $600. What other 15 things would you have them add to the current model, driving the cost up to $800 (meaning it would've been a $400 subsidized phone)?

Get a grip, folks. It's a camera on a phone. There are MANY MORE IMPORTANT THINGS than the camera -- battery life, data connectivity/speed, storage capacity.

8. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

That camera is amazing, It rearranges flowers and fruits.

9. Essjay macrumors regular

Hahaha saw that.

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It's true Apple did something to the camera (i doubt the 1mm bigger lens is the cause of this) but who knows.

11. jettoblack macrumors member

The composition and lighting are clearly different, so we can't conclude anything from this test. A small bump in the ambient brightness would do a lot to reduce the grain caused by the auto-exposure gain.

12. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Probably just went with a different supplier of cheap cameras.

13. meko macrumors newbie

"Please don't refer to the next version of iPhone as 4G?" Who FREAKING cares what people refer to it as?? How do you know what they will call it? Or if they will introduce different models within the year?

Don't be a control freak. It's a free world pal.

14. meko macrumors newbie

I think your missing the point of this thread. Who cares what people refer the next version as?

15. ne0star macrumors regular

Ehhh like someone else said those photos are totally different so i'm not sure what you are trying to show us.

You can take two shots of similar scenes using any camera and get quite different results.

So far all the photos I have seen that claim to be 'better' don't go any further than the usual varying degrees of manufacturing quality between phones.

There have been plenty of posts about some people having slightly better camera's on their original iphone when compared to others.

16. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Here is more proof the camera is better:

V1 iPhone Shot of my girlfriend:

[​IMG]

3G iPhone shot of my girlfriend:

[​IMG]

*Note - These were taken in the same place, same pose, same person, same lighting conditions, same time of year same time of day.

17. mistertomlinson macrumors 6502

L...M...M...F...A...O!

18. FuzzMunky macrumors regular

19. javadh macrumors member

I assume people who refer to the next gen iPhone as "4G" dont even know what 3G means.

20. macdim macrumors 6502

21. mistertomlinson macrumors 6502

22. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

Im straight up laughing so hard at work right now

23. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

Which refers to the cell network not the generation of the iPhone. EDGE was 2G.

24. javadh macrumors member

can't expect more from a newbie;) btw the second quote is private message i got from meko:D

25. meko macrumors newbie

Yes, you are a jerk! Thanks for sharing! Newbie? You joined in May 08.