Improved G-Form case? + Smart Cover

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by vito, Mar 22, 2012.

1. vito macrumors 6502a

Hi

Been watching a view reviews of the G-Form Extreme iPad Case, amazing case by all accounts :eek:

Anyone know if the new version has any protection around the zips, as I'm led to believe that this was a weakness in previous versions.

Does it work with the new iPad + Smart Cover?

Many thanks all :D

2. vito thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've sent them an email and waiting to here what they say.

Their site shows an Extreme V2, I assume the design has been modified at the zips area :D

3. wmagnum1 macrumors newbie

G-Form is a solid sleeve, fits

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for G-Form, not paid by G-Form in anyway possible, but I did acquire their sleeve for evaluation purposes. Our company uses iPads for mobile radio broadcasting and were looking into protective sleeves. That being said...

I have a G-Form Extreme Sleeve 2 and the Folio version. Both are fine with the new iPad. The extra protection in V2 was around the zipper area. My only complaints are that the zippers on the V2 are plastic, which are prone to breaking off (mind you, this is only if you're tossing around your iPad+G-Form on hard surfaces and basically abusing the hell out if it... we did that and broke off a couple zipper teeth. This is not normal usage). The G-Form folio case is just as tough, if not more, but access to side buttons make it a hassle.

That said, I've been rocking the G-Form Extreme V2 for a couple months. I had an iPad 2 w/ Choiix Wake Up Folio (it fit!) and I expect the same when I get a Smart Cover and skin for the new iPad. I can send pics if you wish.

4. vito thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for replying, doesn't seem a popular talking point the G-Form especially around these parts :D

I sent them an email a few days and they've still not replied, ope their after sales service is better.

After watching some failed videos I am doubting how realistic their demos are, there's a few on YouTube where the case lands on concrete and doesn't prevent damage to the iPad but that could either be v1 or just a fake video.

I've got the smart cover and Belkin snap shield on mine so it should fit I suspect.

Pictures would be awesome, many thanks, if you get some close ups of the Zip protection area that would be great.

I suspect throwing it about and abuse in general will cause damage to the Zips however I don't anticipate putting mine through that, it's just for that additional peace of mind really.

Thanks.

5. wmagnum1 macrumors newbie

Here are some pics I took of the G-Form case. As you can see, underneath the zipper, when it it closes, it offers protection underneath. Those zipper teeth are plastic and may break off if you will be literally throwing the iPad around and dropping it directly onto a hard surface.

The case is a very dense foam and is meant to handle quite a bit of abuse. I like it a lot. It also comes in black, since quite a few people find the yellow a bit garish. let me know if you have any ?s.

Attached Files:

6. lukeman3000 macrumors regular

Thanks for the great pics.

So, the zipper being plastic seems kind of lame for a $80 case.. Do you think there's a reason for that? Also, is it nice plastic, or kind of cheap? There are different qualities.. I'm just wondering if that should be a reason to consider passing on this case.

I really like the protective qualities, but I did have some concerns. For example:

1. Can you push all the buttons when it's in the case? (I mean with the front cover off). If not, which ones can't you access?

2. Would it fit in a backpack, or is it just too big?

3. Can you use the camera when the back half of the case is on? Is there a hole for it?

4. What are the best/worst things about this case?

I want a case that will protect my ipad if I drop it, but I'd also like to be able to access the buttons while keeping half of the case on. However, I'd probably be willing to sacrifice some accessibility for protection.

7. vito thread starter macrumors 6502a

I went ahead a bought the v2 of the Extreme Sleeve, for me it doesn't fit the smart over, it's extremely cumbersome to get it in and out of the case that after a while I didn't bother with it. The smart over looks really squashed together and lofts up when inside the case.

Secondly, this isn't annoying but with no iPad in the case the middle raises itself, becomes pretty fat as of it's been stretched? Probably not explained that as best I could!

8. PauseTheMoment macrumors newbie

Sorry for reopening this thread but I just found this and wanted to share my experience with the G-Form Extreme Laptop Sleeve.

A few months ago G-Form sent me a case in exchange for a review on my blog. I believed in the product so I put it to the test as the review wouldn't be a review without actually putting it to the test, right?

Well, my first and last test was a drop from 8ft on to the grass. After opening the case I found that the screen on my laptop had all sorts of cracks in it. Absolute FAIL!

For those who are interested, be sure to check out the actual video review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEW4nUHjG2E

After all was said and done I contacted G-Form letting them know that the review they wanted didn't go so well. Three weeks and multiple attempts to contact customer service I received a reply that stated the following: "Unfortunately G-Form has a policy of not replacing devices damaged during testing."

I'm not sure if G-Form has made any improvements since I reviewed the product but I would highly recommend that you DO NOT test this product. Toss your laptop inside of it, walk around with a cool looking case and tell everyone how it's "supposed" to work but what ever you do DO NOT drop it!
    :(