Improved iPod Touch Would Dominate

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Digipimp, May 29, 2009.

1. Digipimp macrumors regular

You know the more I think about it the more I think that Apple could actually improve the iPod touch a lot and dominate. Ive had both iPhones the original and the 3g and I've truly become tired of the contracts and AT&T pricing structure as well as service. There are still tons of people who are interested in the iPhone but under contract with other companies and or just want to avoid a new contract to AT&T.

So that makes me say why not improve the iPod touch to be nearly a duplicate of the iPhone. Include the microphone, include the camera and just leave out the cellphone. Make it virtually identical in everyway except for the cellphone hardware. They were close to doing this already minus the mic, the camera and a slightly smaller form factor. Quit wasting time and just make it the same minus the cell hardware. Highlight a new iPod touch that is virtually identical but functions as a Skype phone and maybe the new features we might see like the camera, video recording, etc.

2. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

3. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Because without a contract, the iPhone costs $600 for all that extra hardware, vs the $200 iPod Touch. The only reason the iPhone is $200 for most people is because its bundled with a contract. Camera, microphone, etc. None of that is free to add. Prices would spike, and that would mean having 2 versions of the iPod Touch out: standard for those who don't care about the extra junk, and 'Pro' for those that do. I don't see it happening.

4. Digipimp thread starter macrumors regular

actually wrong the iphone doesnt cost $600 for all that extra hardware. do you remember before they subsidized iphones the price was down to the 399 price point and still making a profit. the inflated $600 price is to make up for the cost of you not having to have a contract to pick it up, not because the hardware actually costs more. the 3g iphone could be sold for $399 hardware alone and make a profit. as could the touch without the cellular chip hardware and allow apple almost a slight way around the exclusivity of their contract to at&t.

5. tj53 macrumors member

Don't we essentially have this now with the mics on the headphones? (Minus the camera of course, which is rumored to be introduced this fall)

6. Digipimp thread starter macrumors regular

yeah to a degree we do, but im talking about making virtually the same device but without the cell hardware. not even a different form factor, include the camera and the same form factor for the device and sell it as the new ipod touch.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

8. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I'd prefer keeping it slimmer and just leave out all that extra stuff.

9. Wishsong macrumors regular

Here's what I think. All we really need is a microphone, and if Apple decides to (which I don't think they will) get a camera. The camera is unnecessary. Everyone who has an ipod touch has one because they didn't want the iphone. Most phones have cameras. So that's out of the way. Maybe a magnetometer or whatever it was called, but really, all we need is a microphone. And I don't really care if there was a 3g that had a microphone, because I wouldn't upgrade just for that.

10. retroneo macrumors 6502a

Add a camera, microphone, earpiece and proximity sensor.

Throw in a camera too and any then App on the app store for iPhone should be able to work on the touch where there is WiFi.

11. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Exactly. Adding the extra stuff, even without the 3G/EDGE components, will make the device considerably thicker. Sure, the current touch is 0.5mm thicker then the 1st gen, but it's not noticeable in the slightest. I don't see Apple releasing something that is obviously a lot thicker then it's predecessor.

12. Brewerpaul macrumors regular

It already dominates! I've owned tons of electronic gizmos in my 59 years, and this is by far the coolest, most elegantly designed, dependable, useful and fun. All for a bit over 200 bucks. Amazing

13. ghettochris macrumors 6502a

if i could go back in time I would bring an ipod touch and a solar charger and rule the world. either that or my 125 mw wicked laser that can burn things at a distance...

14. Wishsong macrumors regular