Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sponsch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Dear Forum,

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard running on it. When Lion came, I was really excited and upgraded the system. I noticed lots of "slowlyness" in Lion (starting up programs etc.), so i did a clean install back to SL. Everything was a lot faster then.

Now, does anyone knows of ML is better on this or does the "slowlyness" still accur? Does anyone reconize my problem?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Dear Forum,

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard running on it. When Lion came, I was really excited and upgraded the system. I noticed lots of "slowlyness" in Lion (starting up programs etc.), so i did a clean install back to SL. Everything was a lot faster then.

Now, does anyone knows of ML is better on this or does the "slowlyness" still accur? Does anyone reconize my problem?
There are many things that can contribute to slower performance, such as a failing hard drive, insufficient RAM, a runaway process, etc. If you're having performance issues, this may help:

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
Over time, it'll slow down. If you really want the speed, erase and install a fresh copy of the OS every time a new one comes out. Not ideal, but it works. My late '08 MacBook Pro runs Lion faster than my girlfriend's 2011 model, because I installed a fresh copy of Lion and she upgraded from Snow Leopard.

AndersBrohus

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2012
Denmark!
Dear Forum,

As i have heard then ML is to Lion what SL was to Leopard.. I with that then is ML much faster as what i have heard!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Over time, it'll slow down.
Time has no effect on performance. Slower performance comes from very specific factors that can be addressed. My 4+ year old MBP still runs as fast as it did day one.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Time has no effect on performance. Slower performance comes from very specific factors that can be addressed. My 4+ year old MBP still runs as fast as it did day one.

Yep... computers don't slow down as they get older. They can *feel* slower since you start experiencing faster systems, but it's still relative.

Sponsch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Thnx for your answers. I know there are a number of factors that will give slow computers, but i think (reading your answers) it had something to do with de upgrade and nog a clean install. Although, it is weird you have to do a clean install for better performance.

btw: Core2Dup 2.4 Ghz. and 4 GB DDR3.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
With every new iteration of an OS, they get slower because of the all the new fluff and overhead they bring. Nobody will convince me otherwise. (The exception would be Win7 over Vista).

I boot into SL occasionally just to marvel at the speed. Every time I do I feel a twinge of regret for upgrading to Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.