Improvement in 3g Reception in DC Area

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pugnut, Sep 8, 2008.

1. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Seems pretty consistient. Since last night I have been getting 2-3 bars more at home and in the office. The speeds is boosted as well. I am getting consistient speeds and no dropouts. I am in the Falls Church, VA DC area

2. CheesePuff macrumors 6502

My house in Spencerport, NY would only get 2-3 bars of EDGE until about a week ago now I get 2-3 bars of 3G where to get any 3G before I would have to drive 2 miles or more towards the city. Very nice improvement.

3. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

My indoor home and work signal is still nothing (Springfield, VA and Bethesda, MD) but I continue to get strong signals outside both buildings.

I was, however, out near Dulles on Sunday and I noticed that I got about 1300 kbps on 3G. I tend to get 1100 everywhere else.

I just assumed they had a better signal out there than I do at home, but perhaps there was a modest speed-boost everywhere and that's just the first place I noticed?

5. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

Just through my experience and a couple of others there does seem to be a general improvement in terms of 3G signal in the NoVa area. It's not that I have 3G where I once had none, but it seems that the signal quality is better and it does not drop out as frequently. I listen to streaming radio to/from work and that is usually a good indication of the quality of signal. I've found that I do not have to reconnect a dropped connection as often.

6. Lopes macrumors 6502

i noticed this through the weekend as well.

until about 10 minutes ago.

i'm in tyson's corner and can't get anything to work over 3G. EDGE works fine though. But i've got full bars of 3G and can't get email or onto the web.

It gives me the "could not activate the cellular data network" message...never seen that before...

EDIT: And now EDGE won't work!!!!! Are we having another f!_!cking at&t screw up this week?!?!?

7. pugnut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update

I was going fine until about 1/2 hour ago. Near Dunn Loring Metro now.

8. Lopes macrumors 6502

Can anyone else confirm this? All data services (minus wifi of course) are dead to me.

Much like this phone and at&t will be if this bs continues. Never had these sorts of issues with the first iphone.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

3:30 PM - Can't reach the internet with 3G or EDGE in Bethesda MD (even though I have signal).

BUT (!) I am getting 1 bar of 3G in my office, which has NEVER happened before!

I wonder if all these outages AT&T has been having are relatd to upgrades? If they're just trying to get stuff updated fast, they're might be a lot of cut corners and compromises. Kind of like how it's just easier to re-set your computer then it is to force-quite a bunch of frozen programs. It's painful at first, but it gets everything up and running faster in the long run.

Just a guess, but I do wonder if these problems are happening now so that we can have better service later. In any system, upgrading creates problems. Perhaps the're getting them all out of the way as quickly as possible.

10. doodads macrumors 6502

doodads

I'm in my office building in North Bethesda and I'm getting 4 bars of 3G and Internet service.

11. yrsonicdeath macrumors 6502

I'm in Mclean/Tysons and still get the same miserable reception as before.

12. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Downtown here, 3g reception is ok (it is never that good in my office)

EDIT: Actually, now I just noticed that my voice reception has gone to hell. I've dropped like 6 calls today, that never happens here. Weird.