Improvements To My Site?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by JavaWizKid, Mar 14, 2009.

1. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

Can you suggest any ways in which I can improve my website? Content, layout, ease of use etc. I also need tips on creating a community, any ideas thanks.

2. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

blue font on blue background isnt eye appealing. try a purple background

3. JavaWizKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

5. JavaWizKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

So you think my site is too bright in general and I need to darken a few things. I changed the headers on the main bit of the page to blue because someone recommended it to be because most people associate blue with hyperlinks. However I don't think it looks too good, but it's up to my end users to decide since you are going to decide whether you want to stay at my site or not.

6. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Bigger paddings/margins!

Why on earth is the container for the navigation so big when all the text is stuck in the upper left hand corner? Try to loosen up the layout by increasing (all) the offsets :)

7. JavaWizKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

What exactly do they do apart from move the text away from the sides of the container? A lot of people have been saying that to me and I haven't been sure what they are trying to get at.

8. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Yes, they are used to space text and other content (images etc.) out. In general, it looks nicer and is easier to use if text is well distributed in the space that is available.

9. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

10. JavaWizKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Seconded. Same for "Latest Discussions".

Yes, but not as much as you have on there now. Some styling in both of the outer columns could go a long way towards making the site feel "fresher." The titles on the columns should have more padding, and maybe put some space between the top of the title bar and the top of the page. There's also way too much white space in the title bar as well.

Seems to me you might be better off with a 2-col layout and just move "Latest discussions" somewhere underneath "navigation" considering there's hardly anything there in the first place.

12. JavaWizKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

13. designgenies macrumors newbie

I agree with ceezy, blue color giving your site a little uncomfortable look to the eyes.try to use some soothing color.and its is also recommended that corporate site with light colors attain visitors attention .

Thanks

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

padding

15. JavaWizKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

How do I space out the text from itself? My left sidebar text is too cramped together.